What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rajah info needed

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
For those who have or are growing N. rajah, I'd like to hear about your experiences with the plant.
Thanks.

Swords, and Jeremiah are the Raja gurus here. They could help

Well what do you want to know about it? lol

confused.gif

I guess I'm trying to decide if I want to make a trade for one.
I think I'm trying to convince myself not to get it, as I really do not have room for it.
I would think since the elevation of N. rajah and N. hamata are almost identical, I should not have a problem growing the N. rajah as I have had my N. hamata for 2 years now.
Just being wishy-washy on what to do, and seeing if someones response on it makes me say, yes I have to have it.

N. rajah? Of course you want one! Why are you even asking?

Capslock
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think I'm trying to convince myself not to get it, as I really do not have room for it.

Make the trade, I'll always have room for displaced plants here.
smile_m_32.gif

well for me i like the way the leaves turn burgundy for me and especially they way the leaves unroll! the leaves start out roundish-ovalish then get longer as the plant ages. mine is still ovalish but are starting to get longer. the leaves on mine are tough or rubbery. cant wait to get a first pithcer. the tendril attachment is unique, not many neps have it. JUST GET IT, its something different. not as hard to grow as you think...

rajah? Easy to me. I thought I'd be safe with it staying relatively small for a couple of years but I'm already on the verge of having to sell or trade it - my plant went from 5" to 11" since September. Feed it regularly, give it typical highland (maybe a little cooler at night) conditions and it should thrive.

Well, it's on it's way here. Along with 2 other cuttings I do not have room for. LOL

Gawd_oOo,
I may have extra plants. LOL

Ok, this is a problem...Now I want a N. rajah!

Are they pretty easy to grow? I've always been under the impression that they were Ultra Highlanders, making them difficult to cultivate (like N. villosa).

Elgecko: Has your N. hamata produced uppers yet? By the way, thanks to reading about your experience with your N. hamata I've purchased two of them! They're adjusting to my conditions as we speak. Hopefully they do as well as yours!

I understand that the upper will only form if the tendril has something to grip a hold of.
I was going to use the dowel rod trick, which is cutting about an inch of wood dowel rod and taping it to the middle of the tendril. The tendril will wrap around the dowel and then form a pitcher. I must have been too lazy as I did not try it. I will have to wait a while for my plant to start vining again.
smile_m_32.gif
I will do it next time.

edit:

Oh, as for the N. rajah and N. hamata:

Nepenthes hamata
Turnbull & Middleton
1400M-2500M

Nepenthes rajah
Hooker
1500M-2650M

Ultra highlanders such as N. villosa:

Nepenthes villosa
Hooker
2400M-3200M

In kinabalu, villosa can be found at the halfway point of the mountain while rajah is found only higher up! Thus I was always under the impression that rajah was an ultra-highlander until some people growing it in lowlands proved that wrong...

Try to hook two tendrils together if you don't have space- you will get a double pitcher forming, its really cute. Although I think what it really wants is support, not a piece of wood lol.

Back