What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungus Gnat wars

No offense meant to Dave S who suggested BT but Does anyone have any non-toxic options to fight fungus gnats?

I assume these are the black fruitfly sort of bugs (with white/clear wings) that are everywhere currently in my terrariums and seems to be coming from the pots. I've been using the yellow flypapers but they continute to catch page after page of gnats. Seems like theres a never ending supply of gnats to feed the papers. They never were in there before that I can recall but I don't know what I can do about them, I'm too afriad to use chemicals on many of many things.

Can you drown the larve by submersing the pots fully in water for a few minutes or does it have to have poisons in it to kill them?

Anything I can do to ensure if I can get rid of them they don't come back?

small dart frogs or Mantellas, course in this case i might be worried about the plants eating them
smile_n_32.gif

havent really found them to be a problem. what kinds of plants are you having problems with? is there alot of dead plant matter as far as leaves around? the one time they were a problem for me i was using a pot as a sorta compost bin some dead damp leaves caused an explosion of gnats. got rid of the pot and not much for gnats left after awhile

I had a fight with fungus gnats a few years back in my ceph pot. I cleared them out with the use of sundews. By having enough sundews and pings in the tank with the ceph eliminated the problem within a month. I don't know how serious your fungus gnat problem is, but try placing some sundews and pings in with them.

-Jeremy

Well, my main problem is the lowland chamber, there's only a big N. bical and a new Drosera binata which has no dew yet. The rest are aroids, orchids and ferns. The larvae seem to be in most of the pots, anytime I've added sphagnum peat I do only in about 10-20% for the non-CPs tehrest is bark or mulch. I do use oak leaf mould in many mixes for forest dwelling plants but until about 2 weeks ago there was never a problem with them now it's just an "exlplosion" as you say!

not sure what i would do with your situationmight be a temparary population explotion which would be no big deal but it might turn into a chronic problem not sure what a high population for extended time periods, never had one go on for very long in a situation like yours

Back