What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clear pot for nepenthes

i have to order a bunch of stuff from an orchid site soon because i'm having a heck of a time finding the supplies i want in stores... they have packs of 10 clear orchid pots (the kind with large openings in the side) that would be REALLY handy for my orchid, but i was wondering if, since they come in tens and i have 1 orchid, i could stick my nepenthes into one as well. i'm planning on potting them in LF sphagnum with a little orchid bark for drainage. the light wouldn't damage nep roots, would it?

here's a pic of the pots

thanks!

dont think the clear would help or hurt anything but if your prone to keeping your neps on the wet side i think the extra holes on the side can only help yah

didnt think about that, good point. sacrifice a X ventrata for an experiment first

You could also cover the outside with something dark, like duct tape, if it doesn't cover the holes or line the inside with some of that coir material.

Here's an idea that you could modify.  If you can find an opaque pot into which the clear pot will fit snugly, thereby keeping out the light (and keeping down the algae), you could easily take the clear pot out when you want to look at how your roots are doing.  Of course, that would eliminate the benefit of the side holes.

Can you over water a nepenthes? I thought they liked to stay damp atleast? Maybe its a good thing I let themdry out a little, but I did think they liked it wet.

As long as the container drains with ease, then I don't see over-watering as being an issue.

depends on species. all like it damp a few like it wet but a true tray system like used for Utrics and Drosera and such really would not work well for most growers though some can probably pull it off.

Back