What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad mistake

My N.hamata was doing really well until about 1 and a half weeks ago. I slowly accustomed it to lower humidity levels and higher light. Well, the plant has "stalled" in growth. The new leaf has completely stopped growing along with the 2 inflating pitchers. I moved it back to its high humidity environment a few days ago, but it still hasn't grown any. What should I do? The plant is still green and healthy looking, just not growing.
dewy

1.5 weeks? My plants stop for that long if I look at them too hard. It takes months for a plant to acclimate to new surroundings. Make sure you SLOWLY acclimate it, and then don't mess with it. When you move it back to the old climate, even that is a change that it will have to adjust to. Don't be impatient with these things! Your plant will be fine, just do things slowly and give it time to adjust.

Capslock

You should relax.

Plants have an adjustment period when thier conditions change. As long as it it looks green and healthy you sould be fine.

When I get a new plant it sometimes takes months before it truely settles in.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ May 04 2006,5:38)]1.5 weeks? My plants stop for that long if I look at them too hard. It takes months for a plant to acclimate to new surroundings. Make sure you SLOWLY acclimate it, and then don't mess with it. When you move it back to the old climate, even that is a change that it will have to adjust to. Don't be impatient with these things! Your plant will be fine, just do things slowly and give it time to adjust.

Capslock
OK, I will leave it in the high humidity environment for awhile and see what happens. I just wanted to make sure my N.hamata doesn't die on me as I really like this plant and they are VERY hard to find. Thanks to both of you for the help.
dewy

Yes it's normal.
When you make a change to it's environment do not be surprised if it takes 3 months to really get going again.
It took a while for my hamata to start growing again from the change when I got it. It was close to 3 months till it decided to start pitcher in it's new location.
Now it just grows and pitchers, grows and pitchers, grows and pitchers.......

Dang, that's too bad Dewy! But I'm sure your N. hamata will be just fine. Like the others here have said, it takes quite a while for Neps to adjust to new conditions.

I have both of my new N. hamatas in a low humidity environment and they seem to be settling in ok. One of them is actually putting out a new leaf already, so I take that as a good sign!

Hey Elgecko, where did you grow your N. hamata before you started growing it by that sliding glass door of yours?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ May 07 2006,10:25)]Hey Elgecko, where did you grow your N. hamata before you started growing it by that sliding glass door of yours?
The sliding glass door is the only place this plant has grown.

I just got a N. rajah this weekend. It's right beside the N. hamata.

Interesting. How's that N. rajah doing, by the way? And how big is it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ May 07 2006,11:10)]Interesting. How's that N. rajah doing, by the way? And how big is it?
After 2 days it still looks the same as when I got it.
smile_m_32.gif

It has a 6" leaf span.

My Ventrata has been acclimating since november! no pitchers yet
smile_h_32.gif
so it only grows leaves... wish me luck
alex

PS...Dewy could you send me some pics and how you set up your grow chamber via PM?

Glider,
How much light is the plant getting?

Elgecko: it gets full sun from a window from 12 till about 6 o' clock.

Back