What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

odd question

has any one had a pitcher continue to grow AFTER its completly opened? it seems to have happened with my jac. x izumae

ill get an updated pic tonite or in the morning but here is how it looked when it first opened
923dd5b0.jpg

now its quite close insize to the previous pitcher which is almost 3 times bigger than when it opened. was really odd, never seen it before

Pitchers will open prematurely sometimes. Usually as a result of some negative environmental factor.

Tony

My lowii x veitchii does that a reasonable amount - the pitcher lid will open prematurely but it continues to grow into a full sized pitcher.

BTW, there's no such thing as an odd question. Only odd answers
smile_m_32.gif

not sure what negative factor would have caused it. its growing better now than it has in the past and is starting to pitcher on every leaf so i take that as a good sign. ill see if the next one opens prematurely. course i forgot my camera at home so i dont have the updated picture this morning

Could be something fleeting at the wrong time that wouldn't necessarily cause a problem for the plant at all overall. Momentary temperature spike, drop in humidity, missed watering, blast of cold dry air... etc etc Just enough to cause the lid to pop but then go back to growing normal

Could it be just the pitcher plant? By that I mean there are some orchids that open their flowers and the flowers continue to grow in size. I have a few like that. The flower opened at 5 1/2 inches and when it was a mature flower it had reached the size of 6 inches across. This was not becaue the flower hadn't fully opened. The flower was fully opened when I took the first measurement, and then a week or so later took the second. Other flowers to the say too, so why couldn't that just be a trate of the pitcher plant to continue to grow the pitcher even though the lid popped open? I duno I don't know enough yet about nepenthes. Just enough to be dangerous!
smile_n_32.gif

Wow, that is a lot of growth. I've never seen anything grow that much after the lid pops open.

like i said it really confused me. what ever the stressor was it must have been very brief cause other than poping the lid open way to early and the peristrome not coloring up like it should its prefectly normal

well this is the same thing thats happening to my ephippiata too!

Back