What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Neps need less frequent watering?

I've finally run out of space in the "wet" section of my shadehouse, which is the part that's open to rain and furnished with an automatic overhead sprinkler system. Therefore, I would like to move some neps over to the "dry" section, which is not open to the elements, and without automatic watering. I',m planning to water these neps by hand on a regular basis (when the door to the wet section is open, they also get some stray spray from the watering system).

The humidity is the same in both sections, and the dry section is always slightly warmer.

In your experience, which nep species need less frequent watering/a drier environment?

Thanks mucho in advance!

Hans

if they are highlanders then i would say keep all of them on the drier side, except with a few, the ones that receive higher rain fall in the wild... ephippiata comes to mind...

lowlanders, i would say almost the oppisite. amps and bicals like wetter? not so sure because i dont grow these...

I know that N. x 'Judith Finn' likes it a bit on the dyer side.

-Ben

It depends on the soil type as well. If you have a high moisture retentive soil then less watering would be appropriate. But if you're looking at species, then I'd say nearly all highlanders like it drier except for a few choice one like N. ephippiata as mentioned before, N. lowii, N. hamata which appreciate more watering. It also depends on how well the root systems are. I've had pots go dry before and the plants may be slightly wiled but a half hour after watering they perk right back up.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

As for my soil type, it's very loose and airy because of the above-mentioned frequent watering: equal parts fine fir bark, granite chips, shredded tree fern bark, perlite, and just a bit of peat thrown in for good luck and old times' sake. All that usually topped with LFS.

Back