What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dividing Nepenthes

ok, so my ventricosa has about 5 growth points and it's getting a bit crowded in that tiny pot. i'd like to divide it up but i'm not sure how, knowing how delicate Nep roots are. i have a little bit of superthrive to try (hey, why not), and i was planning on repotting them in LFS with a little orchid bark/charcoal for drainage.

also, anyone who knows anything about splitting VFTs is also welcome to respond, since they're next on the list ;)

any tips?

nepenthes-->are they off shoots from nodes on the stem or are they basals? off shoots--> treat just like a learge cutting. basals-->wait fro them to develop a root system then just snip them off.
for VFTs you also have to wait fro the new growth point to have several roots. when they do carefuly break them off the mother plant. try using forcepts to get in between the two plants and slowly spread them apart.
good luck
alex

glider- i believe they're basal shoots, the plant has always had multiple growth points at the level of the substrate (i've had it for a year, came from home depot) so i assume they can be separated by now? i don't want to go killing the thing, however... so should i just carefully take it apart then?

I haven't attempted to do so yet, but I have this CP book called Carnivorous Palnts OF The World, by Jack and Patricia Pietropaolo, which a written and pictoral illustration between pages 52-57. And here's a link to an excellent description of the concept called air layering:

Air Layering Technique

As for VFT's, the forum member called xscd would be a very good source of info if you want to PM him directly.

Sorry, can't speak from experience... can only point and click!
biggrin.gif

moonflower- ok wait o while before they have a root system going then you can divide it. only if there is a root system tho!
alex

Back