What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

neps outside?

i was wondering what neps i could put outside during the warm season. my usda zone is 6/7 and my ahs heat zone is 7, i live in boise idaho where temps get up to 90 deg F. i am wanting to put n. rafflesiana, n. ampullaria, n.macfarlenei, and n. sibuyansis (sp?). if i put them outside, should they be in part shade? the lowest temp around here right now is 47 deg F and the high is 82 F.
thanks
peace

Hi Peanutsgang:

I would take my chances with macfarlanei and sibuyanensis. Unless you can provide better conditions for the other two, i'd refrain from acquiring these

good luck

Gus

Peanuts,

Go to my site and check out my species profiles for my Neps. I grow exclusively outdoors in temperate conditions. Some plants do better than others. While you may not be able to grow as many outdoors as I do, you might be able to enjoy some of the other more vigorous species / hybrids in those conditions.

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepsAroundTheHouse @ May 21 2006,4:00)]Peanuts,

Go to my site and check out my species profiles for my Neps. I grow exclusively outdoors in temperate conditions. Some plants do better than others. While you may not be able to grow as many outdoors as I do, you might be able to enjoy some of the other more vigorous species / hybrids in those conditions.

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House
thanks alot, very very usefull. by the way, good job on cultivating all of those

I had your typical garden center variety of Neps outside for the summer, having lived in the Reading, PA area (ventrata, Judith Finn) and I recommend the plants being acclimated slowly, to avoid being burned. They should be put into "bright shade" for at least a week and thereafter a morning sun exposure.

Back