What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hardy nepenthes

Is there a list of hardy Neptenthes somewhere? If not does anyone know what kinds are hardy and can grow outside all year in CA weather? I'm kinda hoping N. ampullaria fits the description. If not then I'll just try my hands out with any hardy ones.

Sorry kiddo N. ampullaria will not grow outside for you.
Ampullaria cultivation is easy just not out doors, way to cold for this nepenthes needs. Get a terrarium almost any type of clear glass or plastic container can be used for a terrarium: fish bowl, fish tank, glass jar, jug or bottle. There are containers made especially for terrariums. The container must be clear, however, as tinted or cloudy glass reduces light and interferes with plant growth. You also would need lighting on top if you had a sunny windowsill that would work just fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drew Mcclain @ May 23 2006,12:41)]Ampullaria cultivation is easy just not out doors, way to cold for this nepenthes needs.
Sorry if I sound cocky or punk like, but CA... too cold?! WOW I never thought that would be possible... What temps do N. ampullaria like? I guess I can keep it in my extra 10 gallon or something...

California is to cold for lowland nepenthes growing. Warm Temperatures, approximately fifty percent shade, 60 to 70 percent relative humidity.

I also live in CA trust me dont try it outdoors.

My N. ventrata, Judith Finn, and Miranda, which had been in my attic for the past several weeks, had been enduring temps that ranged from the 50's to 80's. I think they're pretty hardy.

Drew with amps, i would say it depends on the clone, ive got one thats doing a very good impression of a highland. infact its growing along side my ephippiata both of which are quite happy. strange isnt it?

to add to Jims list, N. bongso has proven very hardy for me and others, my eymae x veitchii seems to be an extreamly vigorous hybrid and may be worth a shot also

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 23 2006,7:38)]Drew with amps, i would say it depends on the clone,
I would agree with this.  I have a large amp in heated lowland conditions, along with all my other lowlanders, and it will not even produce a single leaf!  I have no idea what is wrong.  I would not clasify this plant as a beginner's plant.

how long have you had your amp? when i got mine it took 6 months or so before it put out its first new leaf. ive heard of it taking as long as 8 months for some ppl. once they settle in they are practically weeds but they seem to pout worse than most species when they decide they dont like something. especially when settling in the first time

That is promising; I have had it about 3 months.

oh i figure i should clarify something. i started mine of in a lowland chamber. took 6 months for it to do anything. and it grew welll for 6 months than i switched it over to the more highland temps/less humidity and it pouted for about 3 months or so and than kicked it into high gear and is currently doing great and has been for about a year

Back