What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new nep

Ok today I went to a nursery with my mom while i was there i saw an nep my mom didnt have the money but the lady will hold the plant till saturday. i dont have any experence with neps but how should i grow them?how much light? which way do i water them? and can it be outside where i live? (i live in the pan handle of FL okaloosa county)

oops forgot to add i should have pictures of the plant by sunday

It depends what kind of nep it is, i am asuming it is highland with it being at a nersery and all. Neps like to be flushed so a good method is watering it once a day and letting it drain, if you have a sunny windowsill that would be best unless your temps are right outdoors, for light they should have around 3-4 hours of full sun. it would be helpfull if you posted your conditions.

I wouldn't assume it's a highland Nep.  Hopefully it has a tag or the nursery can give you the name.  If all else fails, maybe someone here will recognize it.  I'd think an intermediate or maybe a lowland plant would be a much better fit for your climate.

update: i got the plant it came with a tag that said "Nepenthes 'Miranda'" i should have pictures of it sunday-wednesday. and in one of the pitchers it had a live frog. do frogs usually live in the pitchers? u know to eat the insects. and can the poo of the frog help the plant?

hahaha! a tree frog? wow an added bonus for you, or your new miranda! :p

'Miranda' is an easy and showy hybrid. it was my first nep also. much showier than the 'Ventrata' most start with.

Cuban treefrogs love to hide in Nepenthes pitchers.
I am just guessing, but I would think the frog excrement would be beneficial to the plant. Many have thought the uppers of N. lowii evolved for birds to go in.

Cheers,

Joe

its an hybrid? well what is it an hybrid of?

and what conditions should it be in? its rather big so i put it outside and hanged it i water it every day with distilled water cause its kinda hard to use the tray method in mid air
laugh.gif

It's believed to be (northiana x maxima) x maxima. Nobody is 100% sure. This hybrid comes from the DeRoose Nureries in Holland.

Cheers,

Joe

Miranda is produced by a commercial tissue culture company in Florida called DeRoose. They originated in the Netherlands. They produce a few unidentifiable hybrids ('gentle', 'velvet', 'Miranda'...) and, unfortunately, have no idea of the parentage. Some experts in the field, including Harry Luther from Selby Gardens in Sarasota, figure the plant is Mixta Superba. Others feel it is (mixta x maxima). Nobody knows for sure. One of the drawbacks of the DeRoose plants is that they cut the vines back before shipping, probably to root them for new plants. This doesn't hurt the plant...they're usually loaded with pitchers...but when the current pitchers on the plant wither away, the owner is usually left with a green plant and no pitchers. Hang onto the plant and keep caring for it. When the new growth matures you'll get more pitchers.

Easy to grow. Keep it moist, but not soggy. Don't let it dry out. Filtered sunlight. Bring it indoors, or into a greenhouse, in the winter to protect it from frost. Until you've grown a few nepenthes and get more familiar with them, don't fertilize. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Oz

Back