What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clingy Nep

I've been noticing that my N. fusca 'Sarawak' likes to grab everything around it.  Before growing pitchers, the leaf tendrils form a loop and then grab ahold of whatever is close.  Right now the favorite targets are twigs from the apple next to it and the fig growing up from beneath it.  I don't remember this happening so much last year, but it was much smaller then.  Is this typical of the species?  It's a great adaptation for a vining plant, but none of my other Neps do it.

My fusca 'Sarawak' is very 'grabby' too, to the extent it's produced deformed pitchers by squeezing it's tendrils into spaces too small for it. As it happens, I spent a while earlier this evening untangling it from a spathulata.
Cheers,
T.

maby its starting to produce uppers?

herenorthere, I have a belii x ventricosa doing this also. I will post some photos tomorrow. It is really grabbing on, then forming pitchers afterwards.

I have many neps that do this.
albomarginata, x 'Isle de France', gracilis, X 'Ventrata'.....maybe a few more.

Here are 2 shots; notice the tendril wrapped around the wire 2 complete turns before forming a pitcher (there is a second leaf doing the same, above this one):
p_belii_x_ventricosa_1.jpg

p_belii_x_ventricosa_2_ezg_1.jpg

p.s. does anyone else grow this plant (belii x ventricosa)?  It has been one of my all-time favorites, due to the very interesting growth habit of the whole plant (long gripping tendrils, tubby pitchers, etc.).  I'd like to see photos...........

Here is a shot of my mature plant:
p_Nepenthes_belii_x_ventricosa1.jpg

p_Nepenthes_belii_x_ventricosa4.jpg

Back