What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Neps aren't too happy right now :(

I have a ton of relatively new Neps in my collection. Most of them are growing in a 20 gallon long tank with four 40 watt cool white tubes supplying all the light. Lately many of my Neps have aquired mangled/burnt growth points, which has me worrying quite a bit.

Now, it's been quite hot here this past week, which I'm sure no doubt has to do with it. However, I have a feeling that I may not need that many tubes over my tank, since they seem to be generating too much heat for my plants.

So here's my questions:

1) Would 80 watts (two tubes) of light be enough for my Neps?

2) Is there anything I can do to help my mangled Neps? Is it too late for them? Is time my only prescription? Is more cowbell my only prescription?

3) Have any of you had this problem with Neps? Did they recover? How long did it take?

Why not just grow them by a window like I do? I hope none of the hamatas' are in there getting hurt.

What is the humidity like? Is the tank vented?  Do you have air movement?I have a couple of new nepenthes that are still recovering outdoors after a couple of months getting here.  They are growing, but slowly and not pitchering yet.  I would do something to increase humidity and make sure the temps do not get to high.  It just sounds like they are still in shock from the move and different environment.

Keep in mind I only have 5 nepenthes and by no means an expert.

Pictures would also help alot.

If your humidity is too low this could be the problem. Sounds like you are drying them out too much (too much light in dry conditions). Better to put your tank in the sun part of the day and keep covered so humidity stays high. Depending on the intensity of the sun, adding a piece of 30% - 50% shadecloth would help, if needed.

It would help to see a pic and know which species you are growing.

Thing with artificial light and tanks - more light = good.

I agree with Ludwig. Sounds more like a humidity issue, though maybe it's getting too hot, too....Do you have a thermometer/hydrometer? They're around $20 in Home Depot. That would help you out a lot.

I think you nailed it. MORE COWBELL! where is my dang cowbell at!?

I think the key phrase is "relatively new". That and having a significant change (to them) in their environment. Once you get things the way you want them (humidity, light, temps), give them time to become acclimated. It could take several weeks before they show visible signs of new growth.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. Today I took away some of the lighting and the temps are already much lower, so perhaps this will help. The good news is that all of my "sick" Neps are still green and somewhat healthy looking, so I think there's a good chance they'll recover.

Maybe I'll post some pictures tonight so you guys can see what I'm dealing with a little more accurately.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rlhirst @ June 06 2006,2:05)]I think you nailed it. MORE COWBELL! where is my dang cowbell at!?
Don't tell me, you wrote "Don't fear the reaper" for Blue Oyster Cult?

;)

Tom

I don't have any pictures, but I thought I'd give you guys a quick update.

Since taking the extra lighting away my plants seem to be doing a bit better. I guess I didn't notice this before I took the extra lighting away, but several of my Neps have produced basal shoots that are now growing beautifully. Does anyone know if this is a survival/adaptation mechanism that Neps use when subjected to less than ideal conditions?

Both my N. ramispina and N. gymnamphora have basal shoots growing.

Back