What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

better-gro orchid mix

has anyone ever used any or know what exactly is in it? the bag doesnt really say, it looks like some kind of bark, charcol, and maybe perlite.

Yeah I use the stuff. I just started useing it a few months back and so far my Orchids arent dead yet so I guess its cool for those.

If your asking about it's use for nep's I think its a BAD idea. That stuff dose NOT stay wet EVAR. Your better off with strait LFS for neps.

Its contents are just as you said. Wood, charcol, big chunks of perlight and thats it.

PS: You joined in 02' and you only have 33 posts? Wow, lurker extraordinaire.
smile.gif

Some people prefer a free draining mix, and if you used half of this mix with half lfs, it should work fine.
A prominent grower in AU uses 75% bark, 20% perlite and 5% peat as his Nepenthes mix. Of course he has daily automatic watering.

smile_m_32.gif

Tim you are right.  Its bark, charcoal and perlite.  Its good for orchids and you can use the old stuff that is breaking down to much for orchids in mixxes for other plants.  I add the old stuff to my peat when I mix it up for CPs.  I haven't used straight orchid bark for CPs yet.  I have mixxed in cypris mulch and old orchid bark to help open the peat up.

Copcar.  If your orchid bark isn't holding any moisture then the stuff is too dry.  It needs to be soaked for an hour before you use it.  You don't have to, but it helps with moisture retention.  Then another good practice is if your mix gets super dry then you should water then about 10 min later water again.  The bark will absorb some water if it isn't bone dry to begin with. Some people will sit their pot in water up to the rim for about an hour to toroughly soak the bark.

Yeah well I did that and under the surface it will stay a little wet but I think its still to dry for CP's. I guess mixed in with LFS it will be fine for nep's.

Back