What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. tentaculata

I was thinking of getting an N. tentaculata, the purple form. I was wondering if anybody grows this plant and could tell me the conditions that it prefers. Would it do ok in a terrarium with about 40-60% humidity in the day and 70-75% humidity at night with temps around 70-75 at night, 75-80 in the day? I know that it's a highlander, so I don't know if it'll do ok.

Many thanks,
-Ben

I want one too. I've asked about it here but I also got nothing. They are hard and expensive though.

Generic conditions for tentaculata are hard to give. It is widespread, found at lowland altitudes to ultra-highland altitudes, so will need the relevant conditions from where it was collected. It is generally not a difficult species, although I've found most forms not to like low humidity, and the Sulawesi form from Malesiana succumbs to fungal infections more than other species.

where they are found at altitude 1710 metres in one of the mts here,tentaculata were generally found,with their shallow roots, embedded in the live sphagnum moss.Temp range from day to night 18°C-24°C. I cannot locate the correct disc at the moment but i will post once it is found
smile_l_32.gif

Robert

I didn't realize that it was so hard to grow. I just read in the SG that Pete can grow them well in terrariums. Is there any other small-growing Nep that can grow in the conditions that I provided?

-Ben

Tentaculata are not hard to grow, it's just that they need high humidity to pitcher well. There are lowland forms, intermediate forms and highland forms. I've grown several highland forms from seed and have found them easy and fast growers. However, it is the only species I've seen killed by fungal infections (prob. colletotrichum) whereas other species will merely get spotty leaves and slow down a bit.

Would 50-60% be considered "high" humidity? Are speckled forms highland or lowland?

-Ben

Are "speckled" and "purple" the same? I want the darker kind, the gray/purple one.

high humidity is considered 80+...the highland forms have practically the same requierments as N. Hamata right?
alex

I have two rooted cuttings of this species (from Jeremiah). They've been rooted for about four months I would guess....They're growing, but not too fast right now, and haven't pitchered yet. However, they do look healthy and green, so I assume they're still putting most of their energy into roots, or simply overcoming the cutting shock.

Yea it should be the same requirements as the Hamata since they come from the region.

Schloaty - Do you know what kind you have? If it is the purple highland would you want to work something out for it? PM me if you would or if you know what I could maybe get one. It's the next nep pn my list to get.

Hey JM,

I don't actually know what type it is yet. I have it growing in my highland (well, intermediate through the summer) tank on a guess. Jeremiah said he was growing his as a highland, so that's what I'm doing. Like I said, I haven't seen any pitchers yet, so I couldn't tell you the variety.

You do not want to part with one?

Hey JM,

Not sure! I have to wait and see what the darn pitchers look like before I decide.....though I'm sure I could be tempted.

Bear in mind, they're not all that great looking - one just looks like a vine tip with no pitchers, and the other is a green stick with a growth point starting out.

Back