What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schultz Orchid Mix

Hi all
I just went to the local Home Depot and got myself a good bag of Schultz Orchid Mix. It is sed to have Western Fir bark, Charcoal, and this special mositure retaining rock thing in it. I thought it's be good for my neps so I brought it home. Do u think I should use it? Heres a link:
http://homeharvest.com/pottingmixesorchid.htm

I use it for my neps and for orchids. It seems to be good stuff. I usually rinse it a few times to get all the charcoal dust out of the mix. Good luck.
-Nick

It depends on your gowing conditions. It can be used as Nick uses it, if you water enough. Some might take it and mix inup to half(if not more) long fiber sphagnum moss.

Cheers,

Joe

Im mixing it with peat moss, long fibered sphagnum moss, perlite, and oscomote. Thats it pretty much. Its already in a 5 gallon bucket with water in it so I can just take some, put it in a pot, and put the plant in it. Wat do u think?

I have never used Osmocote, though some swear by it. Let us know how that turns out.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_freak @ June 11 2006,6:10)]Im mixing it with peat moss, long fibered sphagnum moss, perlite, and oscomote. Thats it pretty much. Its already in a 5 gallon bucket with water in it so I can just take some, put it in a pot, and put the plant in it. Wat do u think?
I would skip the peat moss, and the perlite. Just mix in the LFS and (If you dare) oscomote.

Peat moss will just make it messy and it's already drainy enough so perlight is kinda useless. That just my opinion.

Ok thanks. I cant do that rite now since I already hav it in a bucket but I mite do that next time. The reason I didnt do it is becaise I didnt have that much of the orchid mix. I was trying to fill it up with other stuff.

The use of osmocote needs to be coupled with two things.
1. loose mix
2. heavy watering

The NPK ratio of osmocote plays a important part too. I have used it with fragile neps like N. campanulata and it is doing great.
smile.gif

I beleev the rule is lower side number and the highest middle number or just all equal throughout the whole thing. I forget wat Im using but Im 100% sure its ok for my neps.

Back