What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rafflesiana Not pitchering

I have had this plant for a few months now. It is in a house and seems to doing fine by just sitting there and staying healthy looking, but no pitchers at all. The ventricosa that I have near it are going wild now and making new pitchers. Any help? I don't move or disturb it. Cantankerous.

Any number of conditons could be the culprit. I have a raff here at the lab that does just great so I am guessing humidity is not an issue unless it is dead low ( <10% ). These guys seem to like more water than most Neps so you might try upping the watering. And they are not as forgiving of high light so maybe shade it a little...

A bit more info on the growing conditoins would help
smile.gif

The plant is in a room that has windows with Southern exposure. It is not in the window though. I live in KY. No direct light hits it that I can tell. The temperature stays pretty constant around 70-75. I water it quite a lot. The humidity here in KY. is pretty high most of the time. It is not near any ventilation or where any AC or heat blows on it. Other than not pitchering it looks very healthy. It is not growing, but sitting looking very content to just sit and look that way for all that can be told. I bought it online and it has never pitchered.

Hmmm... Your conditoins sound basically like mine so I am not quite sure what the issue could be. How long has it been there? It did take mine almost 8 months to settle in to the window here.

Thats kinda what mine did. After sitting there doing nothing for a LOOONG time it took off firing out pitchers and ever larger leaves ( It just shot out a 2 foot leaf! ) and vineing.

Lets hope your plant follows suit.

Guess I still have some hope. It has been about seven or more months now I guess. I'll keep being nice to it and try to turn on the charm. Thanks for the replies.

If you wanted to you could go "all out lowland" which means putting it in a superhumid tank that's really warm (80+) and has medium light. For me, plants like ventricosa can grow in more mild conditions but things like raff need more intense.

I would increase the light levels. #1 reason a nepenthes won't pitcher when all other factors are reasonable.... lack of enough light

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ June 15 2006,9:05)]I would increase the light levels. #1 reason a nepenthes won't pitcher when all other factors are reasonable.... lack of enough light
man O' man are you right! i have a TC Mutant nep and i have just been treating it like crud! Very low Humidity and not being watered for weeks! and yet it is pitchering fine! light deffinatly has somthing to do with it...
alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ June 15 2006,12:43)]If you wanted to you could go "all out lowland" which means putting it in a superhumid tank that's really warm (80+) and has medium light. For me, plants like ventricosa can grow in more mild conditions but things like raff need more intense.
That is about what I am doing. I am in Florida and my Raff is in an east window, in an enclosure made of two of those big clear plastic storage containers (they are not absolutely clear, but enough light gets through) with about 3/16" air space between. It is about 90 deg F and 90% humidity during the day.

It has pitchered on every leaf for the 6 years that I have had it. It was from a Florida nursery, so maybe it was used to the heat and humidity already. Maybe yours just needs a little more light as suggested and maybe a little longer to get adjusted.

John

Back