What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eating Nepenthes?

I tried the recipe.  The rice was good, but the pitchers were tasteless and a bit fibrous.  Maybe I wasn't using the right variety of Nepenthes.  Anyway, it was something I had to do at least once.

I wouldn't eat anything that had rotting insects in it at one time...
smile_t_32.gif

Hi all:

I love hard boiled eggs, but then i wonder where these come from?

Gus

I wouldnt kill a wonderful nep to eat! I think I saw an N viking there too.

I've stuffed neps with a variety of things. I was planning on running them as a special at my restaurant but I also found they are a bit too fibrous for my taste.

I decided to Americanize the recipe, so used S. alabamensis, jonesii & oreophila pitchers which I wild-collected for that extra zing.  They were OK.  Next time I'll try them with a scrambled spotted owl egg on the side.

Who's goat you trying to get Bruce. LMAO Eating all those endangered species like that. Shame on you!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

i think they are for decoration only

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ June 14 2006,10:51)]Who's goat you trying to get Bruce. LMAO Eating all those endangered species like that. Shame on you!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
i think he was playing us JB...spotted Owls(from what i know) are pretty endangered too! Seriously though, Pitcher plants would be good for that! try it with Cephs by first singeing all the haris off and fill it wihth rice and you have a a little rice popper! Helios might be worth a shot... somthing to think about!
alex

Use helis as an ice-cream cone.
smile_n_32.gif
Now that would be eye-catching!
biggrin.gif

dont let Bruce fool you, he is a vegitarian...................though he did say he eats game birds one day a year hmmmmmmmmm

does spotted owl taste anything like bald eagle Bruce?

smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Oh come on, everyone knows Californian Condor eggs are far better. A little bit of roasted Manatee, and a side of honey glazed Whooping Crane. Now thats a good meal

never seen the interest with hunting cranes(the sandhill variety) they dont taste as good as pheasants and the darn things are about deadly when yah shoot one of the big SOB's out of the sky. never shot one myself but went along on a hunt.........one hitting the ground within 20 feet of yah will start to make yah wonder why you are sitting out there.

My gamebird chowing day is this Sunday, as a matter of fact.

Rattler's question forces me to repeat a story - A poacher was being sentenced for shooting and eating a spotted owl. After sentencing him to jail, the judge asked the poacher what spotted owl tastes like. The poacher replied, "It's hard to describe, but kinda like bald eagle."

game birds in June? thats odd.................unless they have been in my freezer for 5 months i dont get game birds in June..............

any one had an ostrich burger? i want one!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I once had an ostrich burger at Fuddruckers! It was great! It tastes really juicy and if cooked medium rare. Heaven!

Back