What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting

Ok I bought a 150 imitation, energy saving lightbulb. It has 2700 lumens out put, Do you guys think this will be a good Light source for Highland Neps?

Cheers

That's what? Sounds like a 35watt compact fluorecent bulb.. which is fine if that is the case, but depending how large an area you are lighting and the distance between the plants and the bulb, you may need several.

Go to home depot and buy the biggest compact flourescent you can find. That's what I use and they work great, be aware they do make a moderate amount of heat though, which for highland species isn't the best of course, unless you have a big area.

otherwise just use the tube ones.

150 watt light bulb... Im only gonna be lighting about a 2 foot by 2 foot area... the lights gonna be situated above the plants... about 7 inches. It doesnt seem to get to warm near the plants Who knows havent had a chance to use it yet. Its one of those Spiraly compact bulbs... it imitates 150 watt light bulb but only uses 42 watts

Just wondering...
Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ June 14 2006,10:27)]Go to home depot and buy the biggest compact flourescent you can find. That's what I use and they work great, be aware they do make a moderate amount of heat though, which for highland species isn't the best of course, unless you have a big area.

otherwise just use the tube ones.
Depends on a the growing area whether the heat is bad or not. If you live in the North and your basement is pretty cool, it may give you the temperature swing some of these plants enjoy.
Does anybody have a brand and size for me to look up for compacts? I have always used 40 watt CW 48", but am open to checking something else out.

Cheers,

Joe

I use 55W Osram PLL lights. Really bright at 4550 lumens.
cool.gif
17" in length. My growing area is only 3' long so I use two tubes, double the brightness in the middle where the VFTs are.

Back