What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

southern california

Would it be possible for me to grow highland nepenthes if the daytime temperature is in 75-80F?
The nightime temperature DOES go down, and probably will be in the low 70's.

So far being in SC i've only grown lowland, but I really want to try something like aristolochiodes or hamata. I would be able to give it high light and humidity, but I'm worried about the temperature.

heres my collection, most consists of highlanders, intermediates and a FEW lowlanders

98164980O178685039.jpg

Must be nice to live somewhere you can grow them outside year round.

yeah but then you have to worry about pests

All my highlanders grow outside here in San Diego. Lately it's been getting in the upper 80's during the day and upper 50's at night. All of them are producing pitchers except one, my N. muluensis X lowii. That is one slooow growing plant
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ June 15 2006,2:02)]yeah but then you have to worry about pests
Ach! the ingratefulness! Man, I know people who would KILL to live where you live....:)

Thats what green houses are for up north and places you cant keep them out doors all year
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ June 15 2006,11:02)]yeah but then you have to worry about pests
A small price to pay compared to other parts of the country. I'd like to see my relatives in northern Montana grow outdoors! Nothing a simple fumigation routine can't control.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]All my highlanders grow outside here in San Diego. Lately it's been getting in the upper 80's during the day and upper 50's at night. All of them are producing pitchers except one, my N. muluensis X lowii. That is one slooow growing plant
mad.gif
Do you keep them in an outdoor greenhouse or just in partial shade or sun?

i took ludwig's advice on the pesticide. i use orthenex.

The main downside to growing nepenthes in California is how much rent or mortgage you have to pay. :p
mad.gif

Capslock

Heh, the land price is so high here that if we got a house with a garden, we wouldn't be buying anymore Neps...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you keep them in an outdoor greenhouse or just in partial shade or sun?
They grow out on the porch and get morning sun until about 11:30 or so then they are in the shade for the rest of the day.
I don't have any pests bothering them (knock on wood) but there is an ant trail leading up to one of the neps, the pitchers are filling up with ants
smile_m_32.gif

Back