What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever propagated bellii?

My N. bellii has been growing like gangbusters - somehow I must have really found its perfect conditions! I've been considering taking some cuttings, but haven't found any personal accounts of propagating this species in my internet searches. Have any of you ever tried it? How did you do it? did all of your cuttings make it? how long does this species require to take root?

I was planning on air layering it to be safe, but wondered if I should still wait until I can see new basal shoots in case the main branch dies off.

Here's a couple picutres from the beginning of March, it's about twice as tall now!

3-06-N_bellii.jpg

3-06-N_bellii_pitcher.jpg

Oh, yes, that's fizgig... here's a better picture of her after some photoshop work:

fizigig-clone.jpg

Aviculara aviculara! Thats my favorite tarantuala, well besides Theraphosa blondi. Plus Haplopelma minax even though they are unruley little tirants and then there is Aviculara metalica.... I really need to take some pictures of the ones I have.

smile_k_ani_32.gif
 Goodness, me! Got to say that it must be Fizgig who is getting your bellii to go gangbusters. My bellii just started pitchering after 1.5 years!

Anyway, during that long period of pitcherless-ness, I took two cuttings. I have given one away and still have the other. No special treatment but I rooted them in pure perlite with water. Easy to root so go ahead and take cuttings. But the cuttings may take a long time to pitcher 'cos bellii is famous in taking forever to acclimatise...oh, but you've got Fizgig...  
smile_m_32.gif

Ahh... we have entered a new golden age of Nepenthes growing. A new substance for enhanced plant growth has been discovered.
Tarantula poop.

smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ June 16 2006,6:13)]
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Goodness, me! Got to say that it must be Fizgig who is getting your bellii to go gangbusters. My bellii just started pitchering after 1.5 years!
Oh my, and I thought my vieillardii made me wait forever when I got my 1st pitcher after 6 months!

Thanks for the advice though, glad to hear your cuttings took root
smile.gif

thats nothing....my VENTRATA(!!!!!!) hasnt pitcherd for me since November 2nd!!!!!v im getting mad! my ventricosa that was murdered at a floral shop is now starting to pitcher!
alex

Back