What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

n. campualata

Last year i got a small tissue cultured n. campualata and put it in with the rest of my lowlands. It has very high humidity, medium light, semi-wet soil. But it doesn't do ANYTHING. It grew one leaf actually, but that's it. What should I do?

got ya

1. soil and potting: its in a tiny 2 inch pot with pure peat. (it came in here). The plant is 2 inches across.
2. Light: Same light as my bicalcarata, which isn't low, but not extra bright either.
3. Water: It sits in water.
4. Humidity: very, very humid. at least 80%, probably higher.

It used to have more light and less wet, but that didn't work so im making it more lowland, and this isn't working either. Any other specifics?

OK here are my suggestions:
More light. Almost full sun maybe 70% of sun, then water it overhead now and then and dont let it sit in water, move it into a bigger pot, at least 4-5inches, and u should slowly lower the humidity around it to about 50% to harden it off. Hope that helps

better draining soil, more light, dont let it sit in water! that should solve most problems.
alex

The first N. campanulata in the US(back in June of 2000) arrived potted in 1:1 peat/perlite. I don't know if it is still potted in that, but it grew really well in that mix.

Cheers,

Joe

My campanulata really also grows bad..I am it is really slow...near slow as the lowii and also pitchers has really short life...why?
My campanulata is in 70 % peat moss and 30 Perlite.
When it has too much neon light the old leafes and also all the new ones became nearly red coloured. Then after 4 months now the leafes seems getting used to my strong light.
It it continues to grow not good. I have seen much better in this forum.
What could it be?
I have to consider to use sphagnum? Or what?
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

I remember reading somewhere that as soon as the pitchers get fed, they die. Cant remember where I read it though

My N. campanulata grows quite well doubling roughly its size in abaout one year (got it as small seedling at the EEE in Prague from Wistuba). The compost is 100 % pure LFS and the plant gets foliar feed about once per month. The LFS is well drained and the temperatures are quite low, because this plant grows together with my highland plants.

N_campanulata_200606.jpg

Joachim

I would try repotting it. Mine grows in just Lfs and does great.

Here are my 2 campanulatas that are treated as lowland.
The first, more little, is in coconuts chips, peat moss and perlite :

campanulata1.jpg

The second one, bigger plant, is in peat moss and perlite.

campanulata2.jpg

Must I kill myself? ;)
I really am beginning to think about that campanulata should have roots only in pure spaghnum....as you can see my campanulatas are not great.
The continue to grow as little.
I am keeping them the whole summer in my terrarium that now has temperatures of 29 celsius during the night with 80% humidity and 31 celsius during neon on with 60% humidity.
Man!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Oh, my camp is a champ.
My conditions are:

Medium: LFS & Coarse orchid mix (about 2:1)
temps: low 80's day, high 60's night (intermediate - lowland)
light: 8" from a 65 watt & twin 40 watters (quite high) about 14 or 15 hours/day
humidity: 50's day, 70's night was the same as high 70 day and high 80's night

It's flowered twice, and the pitchers last fairly long (I don't feed them too much).

I like shloaty's conditions, going to try that.

Forgot to mention the watering -

It's in a large pot with one of those attached trays.  I give it a good watering and wait until the top layer is dry (since it's in a tank, that's usually at least week, sometimes over two weeks) before watering again.

I think you guys having trouble are growing it a too wet all the time. My experience shows they like to be soaked, then dry out a bit.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
I will reflect the whole long long night!
Thanks for the tips!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

LFS here as well. I water it from the top about once a week but it doesn't really sit in water. Humidity is probably about 80% with temps ranging from maybe 65 - 85 degrees. I just got mine a few months ago as a TC seedling and its taking off. My N. bicalcarata is thriving in the same conditions.

I'm with Joachim on this, I don't think the plant necessarily needs lowland temperatures. I keep my young plant in highland/intermediate conditions and although I wouldn't describe it as thriving it gets by.

campanulata.jpg

It's in pure LFS and generally kept a bit on the dry side.
Cheers,
T.

Back