What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I know what species it is?

I bought a Nepenthes from Lowe's about three weeks ago.. the only pitcher that it had on it was small, and redish orange. Long story short, I burnt it and it turned completely black. Now I'm waiting for another pitcher to show up since it's under better care. I bought the Savage Garden book and read most of it. I figured out that they don't like the water-tray method and like cooler nights, so at least that's probably the same for both highland and lowland.

Do I have to wait for new pitchers to show up before I know which species it is though? My guess is that it's a lowland hybrid - either a morganiana or coccinea. But again the pitcher that I remember kind of looked like a Highland Nepenthes alata. Bah!

Edit: Well, I just saw there's a forum section for my type of question :p Stupid me. But anyway, here's some pictures I took today. http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid10977975

very difficult without pitchers, even with pitchers depending on how old it is it can be difficult even with pitchers as alot of neps have immature pitchers that look alike. if its from lowes chances are its a N. x Ventrata but others have shown up to confuse things.

welcome to the forum and the addiction
smile_n_32.gif

Back