What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey

Over a year ago before Leo Song moved away, he gave me 3 rooted cuttings for n. ventricosa. Obviously its an easy species to grow, but I was surprised when it turned into a monster...theres tons of basal growth, large pitchers, its huge. (picture to come).

So, seeing how this is doing so well outside, would it be possible to grow a species with larger traps? (like n. truncata). it's warm outside year round, usually in the 70s-80s. The lowest temperature is around 50 degrees on winter nights. The humidity is pretty high (southern california), and the plants always get partial sunlight. (hanging basket on a tree).

If not truncata, what other large-trapped species would work? (I just like gigantic traps, it doesn't have to do with being outside), but I can't fit things like that into my terrarium

Your conditions sound great for truncata. You might see some slow growth in the winter (it is a bit of a slow grower anyway). I keep 3 of them outside and they take whatever the weather throws at them, though I do not let the temp get below 50 or so. They regularly produce big, impressive pitchers.

I had mine outside all last winter in an unheated greenhouse; this GH was in total shade in the wintertime and the truncata didn't like it but it didn't die either (In am in so. Calif.).  I would be pretty certain that as long as it got some sun in the wintertime, you would have a prolific plant in your conditions year-round.

Even better, why don't you try a truncata crossed with some tough highlander? That would probably do even better for you.

I have truncata X aristochloides that grows outside year round. I live in San Diego, about 3 miles from ludwig777. Also I have a N, sanguinea "red" that grows next to the truncata X aristochloides. Not to mention my N. "gentle", which made the last pitcher over twice as big as the last one.

thanks guys, i guess ill try it then.
yea, during the winter the ventricosa is a little slow too and has most of its traps died off...but during the summer there's many of them. (20 or so)and it grows strong

Back