What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Florida Nep enthusiast

Hey guys! Recently moved here to Sunrise, FL (Ft. Lauderdale). Was wondering if there are any fellow growers down here and how/what kind of Neps are you growing? I've got a N.truncata which I transported from Newark, DE and it is finally starting to take off with the heat; a N. bical (new), N. rafflesiana (new), N. ventrata? (got from a local Lowes and is growing like mad), N. ventricosa which is doing well, and a lowlander N. veitchii which had a hard time on the trip down but is now starting up basal shoots. I have this feeling that my truncata is going to give me some nice looking pitchers in a few days.

Howdy -
I'm 60-80 miles up the road (Ft. Pierce) Don't currently have any neps, but I had an x Andrewensis for many years that loved it outside. Have to replenish the collection. (Gotta check out Lowe's, I guess)
setep (Ron Ruppel)

Hey Ron: thanks for the reply. Haven't visited Ft. Pierce yet, I moved here to Sunrise in March and work up in Boca Raton. My neps are finally starting to come around since the move and I am excited to see what type of pitchers I will be getting. I suspect that the majority of Neps I will be able to grow will either be strictly lowlanders or possible intermediates. In regards to Lowes, the plants they were selling that day were fantastic and healthy (must have just arrived that day or the day before) and at $12, couldn't resist.. It is starting to grow fast and I suspect it will be become a vining plant very soon! Now if only my bical would start doing the same thing (do have two new leaves with pitchers forming and am waiting patiently!)

Welcome wickmo.  I am in Fort Lauderdale on the beach.  Put your bical in bright shade, feed it a little small granular fish food about once a month and stand back. You will be amazed how quickly they grow down here.

Trent Meeks is a grower located in Boca Raton and is a member of this forum.  He has hundreds of Nepths and Sarrs.  He has a bical he calls "Big Mama" that is three feet in diameter. Look him up in our member list.

I was thinking Big Mama is actually five feet in diameter, but I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was thinking Big Mama is actually five feet in diameter, but I could be wrong.
I haven't seen "Mama" in two years...probably is five feet by now.  She had some mighty big pitchers and the fangs looked lethal.

Thanks for the welcome! I am planning on meeting Trent this weekend after work, we have been communicating and I am interested in purchasing some plants. Since I work in Boca Raton and will be working this Saturday, it works in with both of our schedules. I currently keep my Neps in my enclosed patio which gets bright shade and in the evening, the western sun and the plants seem to be doing very well with this exposure. The temperature in my backyard during the afternoon actually has gotten up to 110 degrees, but in the patio the highest it gets is around 96-97 degrees. Obviously my lowlanders (and I) love it! Now all I am doing is sitting patiently waiting for the traps to start growing, especially with my N. truncata and N. bical! I will have to look for "Big Mamma" when I visit this weekend!

Hi Everyone,
'Big Mama' got a trim. We cut her back on the main vine so the ground shoots (eight of them last count) could take over.
She was about five feet across, but once the main vine got be about nine feet in length, she starting vining and throwing ground shoots. When I cut her up, I used a machete. Sterilized the blade, of course. It was like chopping up a broomstick.
Look forward to seeing you tomorrow afternoon, Wickmo!

Trent (and Michelle-nurturer of Nepenthes)

Back