What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just snapped my nepenthes in half.

I was trying to adjust the plant in the pot because it was crooked. Apparently, I pulled too hard and snapped the leaf - taking two shoots(with undeveloped pitcher bulbs) with me =\

I'm guessing this is a sign of not enough light? Leaves aren't supposed to just snap like that! I wasn't even pulling that hard.

I hate it when that happens.

Looks like you are about to learn the art of making Nepenthes cuttings - you're halfway there, you have the cutting, now all you have to do is root it....then you will have two plants. For now, wrap the cutting in a wet towel and wait for someone more experienced than I am to advise you how to proceed. You may well be correct about the insufficient lighting, most Neps I have dealt with have been tough stemmed plants. Good luck with your plant(s)!

OK dont panic. How is the cutting? Good? OK. Now slowly remove her from the wet paper. Pot! pot. *beep* Peat! peat. *beep* Perlite! ummm..... *beeeeep* Dam it Jenkins I need perlite NOW! OK sir here. perlite. *beep* Spahguam moss! spahguam moss. *beep* Distilled water! distilled water. *beep* water the potting material now! Get it wet! wetting sir. *beep* Now plant in that patient!! Hurry! Time is everything. *beep* beep* beep* Thats all we can do for now Jenkins. Good job. Now lets get this baby under some sun. Yes sir...

I root cuttings in a fairly loose mix of long fiber sphagnum & sponge rock (very coarse perlite). I think everything roots better in an airier than normal mix. Some species don't root readily (what is yours?) and need a rooting hormone, but I apparently haven't tried one of those species yet. I cover the pot with a plastic bag to keep humidity up (I don't have a greenhouse or terrarium or any other alternative) and keep it out of direct sun. I've only rooted Neps a few times, but this is what works for me.

LOL nepenthes freak is hilarious.

I wish I knew what species it was... I bought it from Lowe's for $5. When I got it, it had a really small reddish orange pitcher on it that I burnt to the crisp. So, my nepenthes has no pitchers.

Thanks for all of the feedback
smile.gif

when dealing with nepenthes cuttings, Ziplock bags are your friend. pot up the cutting, make sure the soil(i prefer straight LFS for cuttings) is damp, and place the whole thing in a ziplock bag, place it under the lights and forget about it for 2 months.

its either going to work or its not, so its best to just not touch it and not think about it for two months as messing with it can wind up breaking the fragile new roots.

As rattler_mt said, but I might suggest that you cut each leaf on the cutting in half to reduce moisture loss. If you had any pitchers, you could fill them with distilled water to give the cutting addtional moisture.

Thank you Karkilin. I try. Your nep is probably most likely a strange home depot hybrid or a ventrat or a ventricosa. Thanks!

Back