What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tough nep

Boy, N.hamata is a VERY tough plant. I have accidentally sliced the stem,changed its environment several times, and exposed it to low humidity and it is still growing! I have it in 90% humidity with temps around 85F and it is still growing. Anybody else ever experienced something similar to this?
dewy

Elgecko grows it like a house plant!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ June 30 2006,1:03)]Elgecko grows it like a house plant!!
I sure do.

I think many neps are tougher then given credit for.

My plant gets very low humidity this time of year, 30%, but does not stop it from pitchering.

My N. bical is the only plant which I have seen any signs of not being happy, and this happened over the winter early spring. The plant just stopped growing because it was too cold for it. It has started to grow again now that the temps are up.

Dont underestimate the neps ability to survive in tough conditions. They can grow in a maximum low humidity of 40%, a minimum temp of 50F and probably even lower and tougher. Go to exoticaplants.co.au and you will see the plants that are grown in tough conditions.

To those who might be hesitant about getting a N.hamata, it is well worth the money because of how tough and easy to grow it is. From what I had read on various websites, this plant seemed to be really sensitive, but that is not the case.
dewy

Well I hate to be a party pooper, but my two N. hamatas have done nothing but hate my conditions for the last month. It's been especially hot here in Southern California and the heat hasn't been kind to my plants.

I'm actually in the process of redoing a good portion of my setup, switching from cool white tubes to daylight compact flourescents in an effort to help some of my plants out (the fixtures for the tubes were getting WAY too hot).

Maybe my N. hamatas will perk up with these new cooler conditons. I'm also not keeping them on the tray system any more.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ July 01 2006,9:36)]Well I hate to be a party pooper, but my two N. hamatas have done nothing but hate my conditions for the last month. It's been especially hot here in Southern California and the heat hasn't been kind to my plants.

I'm actually in the process of redoing a good portion of my setup, switching from cool white tubes to daylight compact flourescents in an effort to help some of my plants out (the fixtures for the tubes were getting WAY too hot).

Maybe my N. hamatas will perk up with these new cooler conditons. I'm also not keeping them on the tray system any more.
The tray system is probably the biggest factor since N.hamata HATES to be in standing water IME.
dewy

Yeah, maybe that's what my plants are hating. We'll see, since I just changed the conditions. I'll keep you posted Dewy and I'm glad to hear that your N. hamata is doing really well.

Any updated pics?

Most neps hate sitting in water, so it would be good moving the N. hamata out of the tray.

Since you have two, have you tried one as a windowsill plant yet?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ July 01 2006,9:33)]Most neps hate sitting in water, so it would be good moving the N. hamata out of the tray.

Since you have two, have you tried one as a windowsill plant yet?
Yeah, but what's strange is that I have this one Nep that sits in water all the time and grows like a beast. It's a hybrid I rescued from Home Depot last summer and it doesn't mind having its feet wet. I think it may be the exception, because most of my other Neps seem to want good drainage.

I actually had one of my N. hamatas sitting out in the open air for a while, but I think the heat got to it. I may try it again once they both have healed from the neglect.

^^ Same here ^^

My Raff, Ventri's, and Bical grow faster when they are sitting in water. But all my other Nep's hate it with a passion.

sheesh! if N. hamata is rely that tough im deffinatly getting one....when i get money that is
biggrin.gif
alex

I know that I have read that Nepenthes bicalcarata can come from swampy areas that stay very wet.

I also read that several people say that Nepenthes rafflesiana can tolerate wetter conditions then most neps.
I have not read many postings / articles for the typical habit for Nepenthes rafflesiana though.
Mine gets watered twice a week, the same as all my other neps and seems to like it very well.

Prehaps you people have herd of nursery hardend plants? what nurserys did the plants come from?
smile_m_32.gif

my understanding with hamata is when young its fairly tender(which is where the difficult rumor came from) but when when its older its quite tough.

as for being wet, most neps do hate their feet being constantly wet. i water mine about every other week. water only sits in the tray for a day or so.

as for Nepenthes being tough ive got N. ampullaria and ephippiata growing side by side and both are happy and pitchering. that one is just odd.

what does well with one person will fail miserably with another. not everything works for everyone.

Back