What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to cool at night?

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
I have my neps in a window sill in my room. It gets about in the 82-86 range. They are highland. At night the temps just won't come down. How could I get them to drop a little at night? Is there anything any of you guys do? Thanks.

No suggestions? Guess no one else has the same problem I have.

How hot is it outside? If its cooler outside, crack open the window.

A short term solution could be to freeze a two liter bottle of water and keep it near your plant on a windowsill each night.

Buy a single-room air conditioner. You should be able to get temps down to nearly 15 C, which may be low enough, depending upon exactly what species you are trying to grow.

You should try a swamp cooler.

You don't give many details about your setup but a fan blowing across the the moisure of the soil could cool things down in the same manner as a swamp cooler. You would need to water more frequently but many plants respond favorably to good air circulation anyway.

Would blowing a fan on to plants take the humidity away? I just have my plants by a window. No terrarium or anything. Just sitting there in the pots. It's just too warm at night. I'll try the bottle idea. Maybe some ice packs or something.

Well, like the others said you need to give a little more details.  Like in the species your trying to gorw would be a HUGE help.  I can't give you any sujestions because I only grow one highlandger and the thing is out in my GH.  The temps get up into the upper 90's and at night it ony gets down to the 80s since that what it is outside, and its doing great.  Its a ramispina(sp)  Out of the three nepenthes I bought from my last order it was the one I thought would do the worst since it was a highlander, but its accualy doing the best out of the three.  It didn't get setback from shipping, and has the most pitchers of the three.  So when asking for help Murphy it would be best if you give as many details as possible.  You will find that you get more responces and better help that way.  Also pictures would help alot with most questions, since it may not be a temp drop issure your having.  It could be something else your just not experienced enough to notice.  There are many variables you have to consider when trying to diagnose a problem with a plant.  So you can never have to much info when trying to help someone out. Just saying they are highland is very vague. Since some highland species can take a wider range of conditions than other highlands. Just because they are grouped as highlands doen't mean that you can treat them all the same. That would be like me saying I have a group on intermediate orchids and treating them all the same. Well if I do then I will kill some and others will just sit there. Since some orchids require a dry winter rest and others like to dry out more than others. Some do better mounted and some do better never drying out. Knowing the species is almost a must unless you don't know it then your stabbing in the dark.

I'm not having problems at all. In fact they are all pitchering real nice. The only thing is that I read that they need a drop at night or they use too much energy and over time it will affect them. There is a list of the plants I'm growing.

N. Albomarginata
N. Fusca
N. Hamata
N. Muluensis X Lowii
N. Predator
N. Ramispina
N. Sanguinea
N. Tentaculata
N. Truncata
N. Ventrata
N. Ventricosa

I would just like to nip it in the bud before any problems do happen. If there really will be a problem.

Well I think that first of al you could try to open a window... I have the same problem in my unheated terrarium, and I try to cool it down by opening it during the night and by spraying the plants with some room temperature water ( while the water evaporates it takes the heat out of the plants ).

Well I am still testing it, so I don't know if it actually works.

Greatings

I opened the window but nothing really happens.

Well, my sanguinea, truncata, ventrata and ramispina are doing great out in the heat of the GH and outdoors of GA. So if its not broke don't fix it. You would be surprised how much out of the box plants can be and still thrive. Don't worry so much and to give your self an ulcer

Hi there:

I would not worry too much about the temperature drops for most of the species you listed, they'll do well if the other factors are optimal, ie, humidity and light. I would watch out for Hamata and tentaculata (they are not as hardy as the others,especially when young.

Back