What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ventricosa vs ventrata

I got a nep from Lowe's today (they must have just gotten the stock, they had one nep, a bunch of Sarrs and a few Pings). Anyhow, it is of course really really young and it sort of looks like my ventricosa, but I'm hoping its really a ventrata. Is there a way to tell with very young pitchers?

Also, should I take the slow approach to de-cubing? I don't know how long its been there, maybe a few days, maybe three weeks...

For awhile there, Lowes and Home Depot both were being supplied with what our panel of experts were IDing as N. ventrata. Here's a ventrata, but I have seen different people post pics that have differing coloration.

AF001201.jpg

De-cubing---> slowly and gradually remove the top of the cube so the sudden drop in humidity wont put it into shock. then repot as normal.

We have had a big disscussion on wether it is Ventrata or Ventricosa. the out come...you cant tell when it is young. only when it is older can you tell. you might have to wait a year or so to truly tell.
Alex

Ok. Well I put it in a little pot filled with sphag. Now we wait and see.

I would decube it by preparing the new pot first, with a typical mix of peat, perlite, LFS, whatever, and then carve out a hole in the center. I would then take the cube and turn it upside down, over your hand and work out the contents (soil & plant) as one unit. That's called the "plug". Then place the plug in the new pot. Fill in with more media and water to fill spaces.

Oh its already been replanted and its got its own little 3" pot between ventricosa and sanguinea on my shelf. I took it out of that cube o' death as soon as I got it home. Did the same with the ping I got also.

Thoes little cubes of death make Great home for some other CP's. Like Cephs and Dews. I clean them up and reuse them.

Jim

For the longest time I thought my HD nep was a ventrata until it matured but it is obviously a ventricosa:
ventricosa.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pasoftim @ July 16 2006,9:28)]Thoes little cubes of death make Great home for some other CP's.  Like Cephs and Dews. I clean them up and reuse them.

Jim
I used mine, from a cobra lily, to suspend a pot, so the water drains through. They can also be used to ship delicate plants, within a shipping container or box.

AF003601.jpg

[/QUOTE]They can also be used to ship delicate plants, within a shipin container or box.
Nah forget the outside box. Just tape up the cube and slap a stamp or two on it.

>;-D

Back