What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coloring on green ampullaria

Hello:::

My ampullaria has produced a very odd pitcher. It's a green form, and it has made a spotted pitcher. I can't say for sure if it has always been spotted or not, as I don't keep a close observation on all of its many traps.
spots.jpg

spots2.jpg

What has been the cause of this oddity?

(added): I just noticed some of the other pitchers growing near this one are developing spots as well.

strange. have you gave it more light lately, that might be it.
hey i was wondering how you make an amp. do that without the leafs?

It does it on its own, or if the top part is doing poorly (like if you cut it off) I believe it will as well. Basal growth is a normal thing for amp though.

That's quite interesting. All I can figure is that it has been a spotted form all along and it's just now showing its true characteristics. Did you up the wattage in your tank recently?

Not at all, though it is worth noting that the pitcher with the spots is one of the closest to the lights.

Here's a "fun fact" about my amp: It actually originally WAS supposed to be spotted. When dean shipped me it, I thought he screwed up on my order. For the 2 years (approx) that I've had it, its never made any spots on its pitchers.

least you know you didnt get ripped off!

haha yeah. Still weird though, I hope we can figure out what happened exactly.

For the record, the plant was a great deal and it came with a 7 inch diameter
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ July 19 2006,10:52)]haha yeah. Still weird though, I hope we can figure out what happened exactly.

For the record, the plant was a great deal and it came with a 7 inch diameter
cool.gif
I received an equally good sized N. ampullaria (Green) from Dean Cook a while back too. I've been bouncing it around my collection lately, so it unfortunately hasn't had a good chance to grow well.

Back