What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. aristo. pics

is there an award for smallest mature nep? when this guy was shipped to me last fall it had a dried aborted flower stalk plus the pithcers are uppers so im possitive its mature..............

6992365d.jpg

3dcf509c.jpg

and in the spirit of Jeff's post
here is my hamata's newest pitcher
edbe338a.jpg

and my falconeri
4a6b1151.jpg

that D. falconeri is breathtaking!

rattler, mine is very slow too but at least it's pitchering (love your shot of that little pitcher!):
aristo.jpg

very nice, what i ment on neps thread about a complaint was that the only aristo i had seen in person was Jeremiah's which was MUCH bigger than this guy. when neps said he had an aristo to trade i jumped on it last year with JH's plant in the back of my mind. when this lil but fully mature plant arrived i was more than a bit surprised. i like the lil guy and have no regrets about the trade. i just need to find a younger larger, reletivly speaking, clone so i have one i dont need to examine with a magnifying glass
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks for explaining what you meant. As I mentioned in the thread where you originally brought this up, the exact plant from which I took the cutting you have has produced some fairly large pitchers, certainly much larger than displayed in the photo above. So, the problem may be due to your conditions, or perhaps simply because it has not yet reached sufficient size.

In any case, one nice thing about the plant I sent you is that it is from seed; i.e., it is genetically unique, and not a TC clone.

Was it a cutting from a matured plant, rattler? I've seen newly budded cuttings on gracilis do that before.

neps, im guessing that this one isnt going to get much bigger pitchers unless it produces a basal. for the size of the leaves i dont think the pitchers are that small. perhaps this one, once it starts vining does this sort of thing. you wouldnt happen to have a pic of the plant this came from?

Looking good! Your plants are breathtaking Rattler.

I'm sad to say that my beloved N. aristo croaked about a month ago. It didn't like the summer heat AT ALL, not to mention I kept it sitting in water a little too much.

smile_h_32.gif

Oh well, I haven't given up yet! I hope to aquire another one in the next year. Hopefully I'll be more experienced by then (one can only hope!) and my plant will thrive.

Rattler,

The "stunting" of pitchers isn't too uncommon as a shock sign I have found. My 'Predator' was making 12-14" pitchers last fall and when I moved it inside they dropped to half that size. I had a fusca "Sarawak" put out a full formed upper that was 1" tall after being transplanted, before that it was making 6"ers. And I have a spathulata that went from 6" pitchers indoors over winter put out a 2" pitcher upon moving outside and then immediatly toss out a 8" pitcher.

I'd just guess yours is a little shocky and once it stabilizes it'll bulk up a little.

rattler,
The shots of "little" pitchers are great, and that D. falconeri is beautiful.

These two are recent arrivals, but they are growing and all the pitchers are "new":

c32306c5.jpg

Good growing,
KPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ July 26 2006,7:46)]I'm sad to say that my beloved N. aristo croaked about a month ago. It didn't like the summer heat AT ALL, not to mention I kept it sitting in water a little too much.

smile_h_32.gif

Oh well, I haven't given up yet! I hope to aquire another one in the next year. Hopefully I'll be more experienced by then (one can only hope!) and my plant will thrive.
Thats exactly why I'm terrified of highlanders. An $80+ dollor plant that arrives and croaks on you because of heat. Oh well, I'll stick to lowlanders.

KPG that darker aristo is f%@#! amazing!!! What is the story on that plant? WOW!!!

Ludwig,
I wish I knew! It's even darker than it appears in the photo. Since it is growing in virtually identical conditions as the more reddish plant, I've been assuming (hoping) it's genetic. BE did state that there were 3 clones, and they were the "most vigorous" they had raised.

KPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ July 27 2006,8:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ July 26 2006,7:46)]I'm sad to say that my beloved N. aristo croaked about a month ago. It didn't like the summer heat AT ALL, not to mention I kept it sitting in water a little too much.

smile_h_32.gif

Thats exactly why I'm terrified of highlanders.  An $80+ dollor plant that arrives and croaks on you because of heat.  Oh well, I'll stick to lowlanders.
Yeah, definitely not very cool!

But I must say a good chunk of it was my fault. I had the lights too close to my plants (CF bulbs) without any glass in between, so there was a nasty drying effect that happened. Since then I've adjusted my conditions so that I now have slabs of glass over my plants, protecting them from the hot lights.

We'll see how my surviving plants adjust to these (hopefully) better conditions.

Back