What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major scores from local store!

Man, that was a surreal experience. I went to a local gardening store (specializing in "indoor gardeniing") to get some trays and supplies for my plants. My first impression driving up was negative, as the store was mysteriously closed. It had a piece of paper tacked up that said it would open late today, around noon. So I'm relieved to note that it was about 11:45 so I figured I'd just wait. They occasionally have CPs, usually some common ones, but sometimes a local grower sells them some nice plants. So I part the car and walk up to the store. Something is wrong... There's a strange aura about the place as I walk up. I realized why pretty quickly. There were cps. Big ones. The first think I noticed was a big nepenthes. Walking closer with my eyes now fixed on it, I realize it's an amp. And it's red. And big. OMG.

Here it is:
86ab169b.jpg

And a closeup of the pitcher. It's labeled as N. ampularia "giant red".
8141da13.jpg

So as I'm standing at the window I noticed other nepenthes. I ended up also buying a N. aristolochiodes of decent size. No pitchers, but a nice looking plant:
0535f1fb.jpg

But the craziest, most out-of-control plant there is my new cephalotus. It almost looked fake. There's another there of decent size, too that I might go back and get. They weren't cheap, but look at this thing. Note the quarter for scale:
b623ce09.jpg

I just went in for a couple trays! LOL!

Capslock

Congrats, man. What a lucky find!

OMG that rocks!!!

You got really lucky!

Great Capslock! Aristo in a local shop! That doesn't happen every day. I got this in a local nursery too, pretty unusual too:
DCP_1245.jpg

DCP_1143.jpg

Nice Ludwig!!! It's amazing what's out there, you just have to keep your eyes open!

Capslock

Holy crud!
I was tempted to go cruise to the local CP nursery lately, and you've just reinforced that urge. It's a great feeling when we find such plants available nearby, especially if it was unexpected.

Cheers
Amori

smile_k_ani_32.gif
When I saw that ceph I literally gasped- that's insane! Congratulations!

Hey Caps! Nice Plants Very beautiful. U da man! Been saying that for a while now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JIm

Seriously, with plants like that, it's worth the drive up to San Fran. I've got a couple nurseries I gotta check out here.... Maybe tomorrow. Good luck to everyone in their searches!

Wow! Nice find!

I don't have any cool nurseries like that around here. Bleh.

make note to myself : visit more local stores !!!

so uh...price for all of them?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jorick @ July 30 2006,4:28)]make note to myself : visit more local stores !!!
Yes, you really can find things if you look often. There is a full-grown N. sanguinea for sale here now, in a hanging basket and huge. They are out there, just have to look.

After reading Capslock's post this morning, I went to the store to check it out for myself.  I took some pictures too; see here.

N. inermis - $25
N. xiphioides - $40
Ceph pot - $100

They also had a large one labeled N. sanguinea that, based on the pitchers, I believe was actually N. fusca, or perhaps a hybrid.  Can't remember the price, but I think it was around $40.  The pot of cephs was amazing - multiple plants with really big pitchers; biggest I've ever seen in person!

Unfortunately none of them were on my to-buy list, but it made my day nonetheless! Congrats on finding that aristolochioides, Capslock!

Nice Mike D! I almost bought the N. xiphioides, and thought about going back for the other ceph. Is that thing crazy or what? The photos don't do them justice; they look HUGE in person. So you didn't buy them? Hmmmmm... LOL!
biggrin.gif

Capslock

Yep, those pitchers were gigantic.  Almost freakishly big; felt like I was looking at a mutant or something.  The picture's a bit misleading because the pot makes them look smaller - that was a BIG pot they were in!  There were probably at least 7-8 separate growing points.

I would've loved to give it a good home, but $100... perfectly reasonable price for what you'd get, but I just don't have it at the moment.  So yeah, far as I know, it's still there for you to buy.  And for us to enjoy vicariously.  :)

Awesome finds! Congrats Capslock on the "giant red" those are still quite uncommon in the trade I believe. I'm hoping mine will have a growth spurt soon after I put those new lights in today.

Dear GOD! That's incredible. You can never find stuff like that around here. MAN! I would have a baby right there in the store if I found something like that .....

Hey there Cps,
if you got it at Plant It Earth (are we allowed to say a name on this forum?)in SF, the other one is gone.
I got it today.
Allmost all the plants are gone now.

Nice looking plants there Max! I wish I was lucky enough to be strolling throw a local store and find those beauties for sale. Question for you: I see the amp is fairly large. Are you growing it on the racks with the rest of your plants? And if so, how well does it do in your highland/intermediate style growing conditions?

-Jeremy

Back