What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mutant Nepenthes flower

woah
smile_k_ani_32.gif

This is strange.... Very strange....

We all love Cernobyl!
Wow...what is this thing?
Oh no...it's a Zombie! Chris Chrissssssss!!!

Mr_Aga
Milan - Italy

I wouldn't mind ome pictures that were actually clear...
Bug damage during development?
Aborted bud?
Eppiphyte/parisite?

<span style='color:teal'>Hello! Well i am the proud owner of this rafflesiana mutant flower;0)

Walter, thank you for making the link on this, i completly forgot to make it. Thanks my friend!

Here are a couple of pictures so you all can know waht we are talking about:

The Lotus-like lonely flower:
NEPENTHESRAFFLOTUS030820065.jpg

The flower and the stem:
LOTUSRAFF0208200612.jpg

The whole plant and 1 of its pitchers:
NEPENTHESRAFFLOTUS030820066.jpg

Hmm... answering some questions here.... I know you all would like to see better and clearer pics, but i have not been able to take them. My cell-phone camera is not a good camera and the Digital Camera i have i just do not learn how to use it... Belive me i have tried... But or i am a camera dummy or my camera is not as good as i think it is... Sorry guys!

This flower must be a result of damages genes or mutant genes.... My rafflesisna is very healthy, the leaves, the pitchers, the stem, everything, but this flower. So i do not think this is caused by insects or any virus or bacteria, or any external factor. My theory is tha this is caused by genes. Now i have to wait until next blooming tinme to see if the next flower is the same or if it is a normal spike, like Nepenthes use to produce.

Besides of the form and size, i think it is a healthy lonely flower. Ithas produced pollen like normal nepenthes flowers do and besides of the detail that it is lonely and that it has 12 sepals insted of 4, the flower does not have any other abnormality or deformity.

So now i have to wait until maybe next summer and see what happens to the future flowers.</span>

I like your gene theorie
smile_n_32.gif

When people produce clones of certain plant and keep cloning them it seems rather normal to me that genetic mistakes occur during that proces, this is just how evolution works...

Or it may be the result of inbreed ( I hope that I am using the right term for plants... ) with al those clones there isen't a lot of genetic diversity...

That is really amazing! Do you know what you digital camera is called? Maybe we can help you out with it.

-Ben

Back