What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siamese Twin Nep

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Two years ago Snowy Falcon sent me a Judith Finn and this plant has two main trunks, making up one plant. It's like those trees one sees that is really one tree but splits early on. Do you think I should attempt to separate the trunks or leave them as is.

I would leave it as is because myself like neps that have several growing points and makes a nice bushy plant.

Jim -

I agree as well. It sounds like one of two things happened here...

The first possibility is that a basal (lower) growth point turned on on the original vine and grew into a second vine, in which case it doesn't have its own roots and would need to be rooted. Since it has a lot of leaf growth, it would be difficult to get this entire section of vine rooted before the vine suffers a lot of leaf withering and all.

The other thing that might have happened has to do with the origin of the plant. Judith Finns are commonly tissue cultured, and it is not uncommon for me to receive trays of these Neps with two plants in one cell of soil. If this soil plug had just been placed into a single pot, then you might have two separate plants in one pot. They would each have their own root system and be able to survive independently. However, if they are larger now (which it sounds like they are), the two plants have probably grown together, and I would still leave them undisturbed.

Either way, it makes for a nice bushy Nep!

That's fine with me. It's a very nice plant and it's newest pitchers are ~6" long. When one is used to baby TC plants at Lowes and the like, this seems incredibly monstrous.

I'm a bushy nep fan as well, potted up multiple ventratas in an oversized pot myself, trying to get a jungle going in there :p

Glad to hear that thing's still kickin for ya, must be doing something better than I was!

Edit: Was it really TWO years ago?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SnowyFalcon @ Aug. 05 2006,8:46)]Glad to hear that thing's still kickin for ya, must be doing something better than I was!

Edit: Was it really TWO years ago?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Yes it was! Time flies when you're a teen!

Unfortunately, the other Nep died during the winter. This was the only survivor from the care package.

Here's how my N. ventrata looked. The plant had around 6-7 growing points.

cutting_before.jpg

Now that's a monster! My Finn isn't anywhere close to that! The ventrata you gave me is sending up 2.5" pitchers and is doing well.

The lone Ceph leaf I have, from the plant you gave me 2 years ago, has recently sprouted. I just noticed a pitcher and a leaf this morning, through the live LFS.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 05 2006,10:33)]Now that's a monster! My Finn isn't anywhere close to that! The ventrata you gave me is sending up 2.5" pitchers and is doing well.

The lone Ceph leaf I have, from the plant you gave me 2 years ago, has recently sprouted. I just noticed a pitcher and a leaf this morning, through the live LFS.
Good to hear.

Give the N. ventrata time. My plant grew like crazy. I was always trimming a vine that was starting to bend after reaching the ceiling.

Due to space limitations I no longer grow N. ventrata.
smile_h_32.gif

Unless you count all the trimmings I still have.

ok tell me Steve....is it just me or did that ventrata never make pitchers past one point? it seems they would be uppers... but nothing there.
Alex

Sometimes they are picky and will not form pitchers unless the tendril has something to hold onto.

1156852188.jpg

Here is Siamese Twin Tiger (N. torelii)
Nong Thailand

Wow.. that's a neat little anomoly! 2 for the price of 1. Thanks for sharing!

Back