What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps getting a little weak

Hi all
Ive been checking my plants a lot recently and noticed some of them are getting a little limp. They are all in my windowsill getting 2-3 hours of direct morning and afternoon sun. They are just getting a little bit limp, as in the leaves and stuff. How do I make the leaves more compact, leathery, thick, and strong? Also, would any of you know why this might be happening? There is no browning or anything but its just that the plants are a little weakish. Thanks!

There are many reasons why a nep could get weak over time:

1. Inadequate water/watering
2. Inadequate light
3. Inadequate feeding (nutrients)
4. Inadequate potting mix
5. Inadequate temperature/humidity
6. Disease (fungal, mite, mealybug, scale, aphids, etc.)
7. Combination of 1-6

I would check carefully for disease (near roots, on stem, up and downside surface of leaves). I'd also do research on the cultivation requirements of the plant in question to see if it's needs are being met.

It's hard to determine exactly what's wrong with the plant without a species name, picture, or description of your other growing conditions.

Hope this helps, and that your plant recovers.

Yes, like Chloroplast said, with Neps it can be any number of things, in any combination. Some more details would help.

Its not that they are like dieing its just that the leaves are a little flimsier and not as glossy/tough as before. Ill make sure none of them start browning. But do you know any ways of how to make them more tough and leathery and glossy again?

How long have they been in their current place and conditions?

Capslock

They have been there for about 3-4 months. Whenever WalterG from pitcherplants.com did his last Exotica order.

Nep Freak, could you post a pic or two? Might help. I think I know what you're talking about, and if I'm right, it SOUNDS like not enough light (you mention 2-3 hours of sun, but what about the rest of the day?)

Of course, without more detail, I could be dead wrong.....Or your plants could be dead IF I'm wrong.....however you want to say it!

the rest of the day they get indirect but bright light. They are just a little flimsy because I got them from Exotica and they have the perfect growing conditions over there and then they came over here into my bedroom. Ill try to get a few photos up.

Back