What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another STUPID QUESTION: potting material

Hello again! I have been going through this site reading lots of stuff, and finding new stuff, like how to distill water for free! Oh the humidity!
buuuuuuuuuuuuuut....
once again, I have for you
STUPID QUESTION NUMBER 2:
I plan on buying a N. ventrata since I hear they grow well on windowsills
what specific soil mix is best
just pure LFS or is some peat with sand or perlite required?
I know stuff for VFTS and Sarracenia but I have no idea when it comes to Nepenthes

Thanks a bunch, all answers help

-DJC

Anyone, Anyone at all?
confused.gif

there are no stupid questions, only dead plants when you don't ask
smile.gif

pure lfs, dead or alive, peat/perlite, lfs/perlite, lfs/lava/orchid bark, lfs/orchid bark/ orchid bark/lfs/perlite

doesn't really matter. keep it light and airy, free draining and water retaining. if your area dries out frequently, add more LFS. if you grow in a terrarium and don't have to water as much, add more bark/perlite/lava. even the type of pot can make you change your mix.

Sometimes you have to wait more than a half an hour for response. Take in to account that today is a weekday, and a lot of folks are working.

Generally, you want an airy, well draining mix. You can do 100% sphagnum, or you can throw in perlite, pumice, orchid bark, coir, whatever you like. The functional part of the mix is just to be well draining and airy, the rest of it is making it suit your needs (like how often you water, etc.)

It shouldn't be a problem, I've got some Neps growing in straight peat and are happy enough.
biggrin.gif

Everybody has their own version of a Nep mix. Mine is peat / sand / LFS, with pine needles. It works.

Pretty much half lfs and half chunky stuff like orchid bark, pumice, charcoal, perlite, or coco chips.

Capslock

Thanks a bunch
sorry, Im on vacation and its 1:10 am here tomorrow
(for people in North America)
huzzah for Europe!

Ok how does one distill water for free? I use pure LFS.
Stephen

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sdeering @ Aug. 09 2006,8:51)]Ok how does one distill water for free? I use pure LFS.
Stephen
No such thing. There's always a cost involved somewhere. Do a forums search to find info on distillers such as this page: Distiller topic

PEOPLE ARE WRONG
THAT INFORMATION BY
BigCarnivourKid
IS WRONG
a. its called a solar sill
b. I didnt make a topic, but i added lots of posts to a discussion that is in General Discussions (I started it, and then partially answered my own question, with help)
c. Its called "I hope this isnt a stupid question--Distilling water
d. I dont know about the rest of you, but I am definitly going to distill my water for free (I am not counting on technicalities, like how you have to pay water bills every month or buy the measely supplies needed)
(so in itsself, its free)

chill. it's all gonna be ok.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]chill. it's all gonna be ok.

Yeah, that one. All BCK was was saying is that supplies will always cost money. "There are no free lunches" so it's costing someone something, and then if you consider the energy from the sun that's going in to evaporating the water, etc, etc...

But the point remains; it's gonna be alright, take a few breaths.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Est. That was my point. There will be a cost either in money purchasing the materials or in "sweat equity" assembling it or both.

I use sphagnum peat with perlite in a 2:1 mix.

Back