What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worm castings

I've heard of people experimenting with low levels of fertilizers (stuff in the sticky up top) especially when it comes to a lot of Neps and a huge greenhouse.

I was wondering if any of you have tried using Worm Castings? I've been reading into organic fertilizing and they get a lot of good feedback. One of the good things about worm castings from what I read is that they don't even burn the most delicate of roots.

Anyways I ordered a 30lb bag for some of the produce I'm growing and I think I'll run a few experiments. From what I've read there's 2 ways to apply it. 1) Add a thin layer on top and water overhead, the nutrients will go to the roots. 2) Boil some water and make a "tea" out of it and foliar feed/water with it. Looking at the NPK values for worm castings they are really low.

Discuss.

Well Ive never tried the specific brand my self but as long it is urea free and all the number ratios are the same or the middle is higher, (ex.1:1:1 or 1:2:1) it should be fine. But you have to dilute it by a lot. I use peters soluable fertilizer, oscomote vegetable and bedding, superthrive (my favorite), and seaweed fertilizer. Any of these are all good and give excellent results to the neps. (ie: faster blooming, more colorful, bigger pitchers, and bigger stronger faster growing plants.)

I'm wondering if the tea method might be safer. After further reading it is possible for worm eggs to be in the worm castings. That doesn't sound good
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Aug. 12 2006,10:23)]I'm wondering if the tea method might be safer. After further reading it is possible for worm eggs to be in the worm castings. That doesn't sound good
smile.gif
Yeah, I and a couple others can testify, you don't want worm eggs in your CP soil. I lost a couple Utrics and had several other CPs damaged by their soil being enriched because of small worms that got into the pots.

Just microwave the soil for a few minutes before you use it and you'll be fine.

In what way is it not safe? Steam sterilization, heat pressure treatment and microwave techniques have been used for a very long time by nurseries to kill off weed seeds, nematodes, harmful bacteria and all other non esentials in their soil. Heat treatment will not harm the soil. You're looking to use it as a fertilization treatment, not as a sole source of growing medium. If you are looking to eliminate the "possibility" of worm and/or fungus gnat eggs then this is the only method outside of chemical treatment and you don't want to do that.

If you nuke the peat or whatever soil, it will cut waaaay down on any volunteers, flora or fuana.

Cheers,

Joe

Back