What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all,
I'm back! Looking for some good highland or intermediate plants that are good for windowsills. There are so many scientific names that I've forgotten a search isnt helping me much. But I'm thinking I want to get an aristolochiodes and then a few more vigorous plants. The kind that like vine all over the place in your average 60% humidity 70s during the day 50s or 60s at night bedroom. What kind of hybrids are there that fit this bill and are really cool and unique looking. Please help a veteran learn how to walk once again.

How are the talangensis? I remember this as being the plant I was going to get next before I quit cold turkey. The prices are SO LOW compared to when I was in the market. Tony has a few plants I've got my eye on, the huge eymae being one of them. But they need it super humid, or no?

N. hamata or N. Rajah...the member elgecko has them both growing on a window sill. i think he still has Aristo..i dont know though
Alex

if you dont mind hybrids and can find them, Rokko and Ile de France have proven to be weeds. veitchii x eymae(might be the reverse cross) might work but its large.

if yah have the funds and can find it, jaquelineae x izumae is proving to be more vigorous for me than bongso(another one good for window sill culture) in similar conditions

anything works. As long as they are good looking and such, hybrids are great. Keep em coming!

Alex is correct.
I do grow a N. hamata, N. rajah, N. rafflesiana, and N. Rokko clone A x N. hamata as windowsill plants.
I also have N. aristolochioides and N. bicalcarata in a terrarium. The bical is about to come out of the terrarium to be a windowsill plant. The N. aristolochioides I want to be bigger before I move it out.

"N. Rokko clone A x N. hamata"

oh please post pics
smile.gif

wont look like much IIRC the cross was done less than a year ago.............cant wait to see it myself

The plant is still small. I posted this picture over a month ago here.

NRokkoXhamata.jpg

NRokkoXhamata1.jpg

if you crossed that one back with N. hamata, i wonder if it would be hardier with a hamata peristome.

lol looks like my baby hamata, though your pitchers are bigger. i suppose ill actually have teeth on mine at that size. very nice, wish some of the seeds i recieved would have sprouted

Ohhh rajah! I loved mine so. Gotta say the two very favorites were jacquelineae followed by aristolochiodes and hamata. So talangensis would be very nice. How are those? Anyone?

Hey Elgecko, would you mind posting a picture of your N. bical?

I fell in love with bical when I saw it at the ATL botanical gardens. I can post pics of it whern I get back. They were HUGE and had some of the most incredible fangs. I have to be on the look out for N. jacquelineae. I just looked up a picture and I liked it too. Thanks Lithopsman for asking that question. I have found many I want now too.
smile_n_32.gif

Oh, Get a x 'Miranda'!! They are technically lowlanders by breeding, but grow like a weed in any conditions. They also get quite large, with very large, showy pitchers.

Other good ones in my book are ramspina, copelandii and meulensis x lowii (sp on the meulensis)....None of these grow all that fast (not too slow either), and I really don't know how big they get, but they are all good pitcher-ers, especially that hybrid. Pitchers like mad!

I think N x gentle is a good chioce as well and easy to find.

I you want a weed, get a N x ventrata!!!! I have vines around ten feet long on my weed.

Glenn

Here you go LLeopardGGecko.

Nbical.jpg

thorelii x aristo could be the next ventrata-like weed, except it looks better, IMO
P1000329.jpg

Thanks for the picture Elgecko. How big is that pitcher?

Every time I see one of your plants I realize that I still have a long way to go before I become a good CP grower!

The towering pitcher is just over 1" whole inch.
smile_n_32.gif

Haha! Still a very nice pitcher though, more than my N. bicals have.

Back