What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just repoted some neps

I just repoted some of my neps with a new mixture. I used some of this orchid mix from scotts and LFS. The mix has western fir bark, horticultural charcoal and some rocks. At the bottom of the pot I put about 1 inch of the orchid mix so the roots would not be in the water. Is this a good or bad thing I just did?

It's more a matter of personal preference. Based on the size of the pot, I like to add a couple inches of drainage material to the pot first, like styrofoam packing peanuts, then the soil mix so that the water drains out the bottom quickly and efficiently. Without any drainage material in the bottom of the pot your water will not run out as fast which in turn will not allow as much air to reach the roots and your growing medium will remain wet for a longer period of time and will break down faster.

But as I said...it's personal preference.

Is the soil mix good. The orchid stuff.

Yes, the mix is very good. It's very much like the stuff I use only I mix mine up from scratch.

Good then. I was just making sure I was using a good product. Thanks. Now I need to figure out about that humidifier situation.

I'd be weary of that brand or infact any store brand in the big chain stores. They usually are full of salts and other minerals that are CPs don't like.

I was about to issue a similar warning that you should check to make sure no fertilizers are added. I'll never forget the horror story of a friend who repotted half his collection before his wife asked if he really meant to use the Scotts perlite with added fertilizer. OUCH!

That's exactly the reason why I read labels and mix mine from scratch. Nice catch guys!

I just looked and it's not scotts but it's schultz and there is no fertilizer in it so I guess I'm good.

It might not say there is fertilizer added into it but remember Shultz makes fertilizers as well. Chances are your media has come in contact with other materials.

As a rule of thumb, brand name or scratch you should always rinse your media before you use it.

I always rinse my schults orchid mix before use, but I have found that it is a great addition to the mix - better than pure LFS because it allows the media to get more air flow.

I use that same stuff in just about all my nep pots.

Back