What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for pictures and descriptions of

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My N. Judith Finn, a plant I received from Snowy Falcon 2 years ago, is now sending up 6" tall pitchers. The pitchers have a wide, winglike appearance, that is different than my ventratas, which are younger and smaller. Are wings a charactersistic of Judith Finn or that of an older plant? Anybody have pictures?

There is approxiamtely 1" between the nodes. Is this a sign of vining?

Most lower pitchers have wings and their size is different from species to species if this is what you mean.

When there is 1" between the nodes I guess it is vining...

Jim here is a picture of the "wings" as I understand them to be.  This is an older picture of my N. sanguina "orange".  The wings are those flang looking things on front of the pitcher.
n%20sanguenea%20orange%20003.jpg
In fact this is my avitar pic at the moment.  I guess I need to make a new one.  This is an old picture.  
smile_n_32.gif

Now as far as vining goes. Here is a picture of a vining ventrata I just hacked up into cuttings.  Atleast I assume it was vining.
135226008RL925938662.jpg
vs. being compact and leafs close together like this.
n%20sanguenea%20orange%2001.jpg

It is my understanding Jim that some plants have wings and others don't, but all nepenthes eventualy vine.  I could be wrong about that so if I am someone please correct me.  The wings are a charectoristing of some species and can be carried over to the prodogy like flower charectoistings do when breeding for flower colors and things.  Some plants have wings when they are juviniles and some don't have them at all.  Some grow them as they get older.  I know my Ventrata doesn't have wings, but I noticed a basal lead starting to grow, and the small pitchers there that are about an inch and a half tall have the cutest little wings, but the large pitchers do not.  

I remember reading when I first got started in nepenthes that some species use the wings to grasp onto the side of a tree or structure and hold on with them.  I wish I could remember the species, but I saw a picture.  Its not a movable stucture, but its attaches and helps secure the plant similar to when the tendrals wrap around a branch or other object.

i also may be wrong but i dont think N. rajah vines no matter how old it is. either that or the internodes stay close together throughout its life. it makes uppers....but i dont think it vines like we think a nep would.
Alex

Cool. I'm still new to them really, and haven't had any experience with rajah. There has to be exceptions to every rule.
smile_n_32.gif
Does rajah climb, but still keeps its node close together? Interesting.

Thanks, guys. I'd say my plant is vining, then.

Good deal! Make sure that when it starts to dangle or flap in the wind that you give the tendrals something to grab onto to ensure it still pitchers for you.

LOL! It's in my bathroom window, climbing up the glass!

LOL I hear ya, but I have heard and read that if you don;t give the tendrals something to wrap around they it may stop pitchering. Think about it if it can't hold on then why would it want to make a heavy pitcher on the end of its leaf. When you going to post a picture?

N. campanulata doesn't vine. it grows a big stalk, however.

like an evil palmtree of doom!

DOOM!

Thanks Clint! I just looked up that one and I like that one too. Dang it. So far it loks like I am going to have to collect a single one of every nepenthes variety.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 20 2006,8:41)]LOL I hear ya, but I have heard and read that if you don;t give the tendrals something to wrap around they it may stop pitchering.  Think about it if it can't hold on then why would it want to make a heavy pitcher on the end of its leaf.  When you going to post a picture?
Well there is the curtain rod... I don't own a camera. I just borrow. Still waiting for the pics I took this spring to come back to me!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 21 2006,2:26)]Thanks Clint! I just looked up that one and I like that one too. Dang it. So far it loks like I am going to have to collect a single one of every nepenthes variety.
smile_m_32.gif
if you can find one, let me know
smile_n_32.gif

Clint it looks like we need to get a trip together and go collecting in the jungle. We could make a killing propigating a few collected nepenthes.

When I get some spare money I will start looking.

backs away slowly.....

he said it not me!

LMAO Oh heck bro. There are surely places where they are about to develope! Those places need to be cleared of all the plants before they get slashed and burned. My OS went to Balise(sp) a couple of times and went orchid hunting. They got permits and papers to bring them abck. They stripped trees on meninite farms who thought the orchids were parasites, and they went into ares that were destine for developemtn and lost anyhow. Thats the places I am talking about going! Dang Im not poacher. I would do it legaly. Besides the more its in cultivation anyways the less likely you are to have poaching!

lol, then that's cool.

thase crazy meninites
biggrin.gif

Back