What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New N. hamata

Cindy

Staff member
The plant is very new. Less than a week with me. Here's a pic.

hamataplant2rs.jpg

The mix is cocochip, perlite, peat topped and lined with a little LFS prevent the media from falling out. The third and fourth oldest leaves are yellowing rather quickly. The oldest and second oldest leaves are still very green.

I am going to let the media dry out more and keep the plant cooler, with less light. Am I doing the right thing?
confused.gif

It's just suffering from transplant shock. Nothing to worry about. Though I don't agree with drying it it out, I do agree with keeping it cooler (depending on your current temperatures), and adjusting it slowly to your light levels. Drying out a hamata will only make things worse, it's best to just water it daily and let the water run through the media, then mist it. The yellowing is normal, old leaves will die out if the plant is stressed. If the growth tip begins to yellow then the plant is basically in trouble and will need some help. I'm sure someone here will help you with that problem as I have never experianced troubles with new neps before. I always soak my plants in a solution of superthrive to overcome shock and they bounce back to normal growth in a few days. Hope this helps.

Edit: Nice plant though.

As cprus said, the yellowing of older leaves is a normal thing, but if new leaves yellow, something is wrong.

How much are you watering your plant?

I grow my N. hamata in a 14" hanging basket. My soil mix is perlite, peatmoss, and LFS in equal parts. Growing in a south facing windowsill. Watered twice a week.

I am more concerned with the black spots on the leaves. N. hamata is notorious for turning black and kicking up it's heals from shipping. I would guess the shipping in your neck of the woods is unkind with the lowland temperatures and travel. I have also had alot of problems with MT plants the past couple years.... plants are small and have internal fungi symptoms. Losses are high. Have you treated with fungicide?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Tony, the spots are actually red. Like the sunspots rafflesiana get due to too much light. The spots came with the plant. Is that alright?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Red spots or blotches, at least in my experience, is most likely due to light levels so you should be fine with that. How's the growth tip doing?

cprus, the growth tip is green and firm.
smile.gif

Everything sounds great then. It's going to be a very rewarding plant.

I just got a little hamata a week back, too! Mine's a bit smaller and doesn't have any pitchers at the moment. But good luck to us both!
smile.gif

I'll join the N. hamata club by saying that I have a recovering N. hamata in one of my terrariums right now. It has been one of the strongest little CPs I've ever owned, especially since it seems to be known for needing chilly conditions. It managed to dodge our heat wave this summer and is now producing healthy green leaves!

I'm hoping for a nice pitcher soon
smile.gif

The yellowing leaves have almost gone completely brown. I really love hamata..this is my 5th plant. Only the first is dead but the rest are not doing very well. They just take VERY VERY long to acclimatise to my conditions. I know that what I can provide is pretty good 'cos I have a macrophylla doing pretty well for me.
confused.gif

Are all of the plants only over a week old?
It seems that most neps, for me anyway, take 2 to 3 months to settle into new conditions and start nice growth and pitchering.

Cindy... you are dealing with plants that have problems before you get them ;<

Those spots still worry me. I have N. hamata that get red flushing from light but never spots. The spots in your photo look sunken too.. which is NOT a good sign.

The last batch of over 40 N. hamata I got from the same source were loaded with Cercospora.. They had long brown stems where a lot of old leaves had been cut and just a few green leaves at the top. A number died within the first couple weeks and a few here and there over the past year as the main stem died and the top of the plant dehydrated. It is not the same as black rot which kills plants very quickly. The remaining plants even at this point are only slighly larger than when they arrived.

T

I would also point out the size relationship between all the leaves and the newer vs older leaves. Note the larger leaves are towards the bottom. That right there tells a volume on the condition of the plant and the direction it is heading.

Tony, I've got the hamata from Wistuba. And there's another.

Now that they are with me, I will just try my best to save them. Knowing that I am dealing with plants that have problems before I get them is doing alot for my conscience and confidence.
laugh.gif
 At least I know I am not the problem, neither is my growing conditions. Is there any way I can help the plants?

The other hamata also has the spots.
hamataplant1rs.jpg

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I did notice that the subsequent leaves are smaller but am not experienced enough to tell what is wrong.  I have been thinking why I've been killing hamatas when the species have survived harsh summers. I am sure my hamata no. 5 and 6 will do better.  
smile_m_32.gif

hmm well they may simply have picked up some spotting in shipping. N. hamata is very picky and simply turn to black mush frequently in international shipping. In a general sense I have had good results with Wistuba plants. The ones I am most interested in though are the high demand plants and they are frequently small and not established.. which on top of international shipping can really set them back a long long time. The one pictured above looks pretty good.. better than the other in my eyes. There isn't much you can do except give them the best conditions you can and have lots and lots of patience. If you have and clearys3336 or something similiar I would apply a few treatments a couple weeks apart just as a precaution. I treat all new plants this way after the rigors of travelling for a week in a sealed baggie in a box...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Aug. 23 2006,6:45)]
Those spots still worry me.  I have N. hamata that get red flushing from light but never spots.  The spots in your photo look sunken too.. which is NOT a good sign.  
The last batch of over 40 N. hamata I got from the same source were loaded with Cercospora.. They had long brown stems where a lot of old leaves had been cut and just a few green leaves at the top.

Hi Tony,
there must be a mixup.
I did never ship you 40 N. hamata plants and never had an issue with Cercospora.
My cultures are inspected frequently without any complaints from the agricultural dept over the last years.
This plants had no spots when I shipped it and I feel it looks quite ok considering it has just arrived from a far journey. I guess the spots are the result of water condensation during shipping and are slight signs of rot as a consequence. Not nice but absolutely nothing to worry about if not worse.
As with all the plants I ship I replace them if there is any loss or serious damage during shipping, of cause. So, if it gets worse there is nothing, Cindy has to worry about - the plant gets replaced or refunded. Right now, I'm sure the plant quickly recovers and grows nicely if the growing conditions are nice.
All the best
Andreas

Andreas, you have misunderstood Tony.
confused.gif

When he said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The last batch of over 40 N. hamata I got from the same source were loaded with Cercospora..

...he was refering to another source. If you read the thread again, I mentioned that the plants came from you only after his post to clarify that his 40 plants and my plants were not from the same source.

I have faith that the plants were shipped out in good condition and was not looking at finding fault with them. I was just trying to learn more about neps and transport shock in general. My sincere apologies to both of you should my concern of the plants cause any misunderstanding.

*I have edited my previous post to remove any possible comparison with other nurseries.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Aug. 24 2006,6:00)]Andreas, you have misunderstood Tony.
confused.gif

When he said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The last batch of over 40 N. hamata I got from the same source were loaded with Cercospora..

...he was refering to another source. If you read the thread again, I mentioned that the plants came from you only after his post to clarify that his 40 plants and my plants were not from the same source.

I have faith that the plants were shipped out in good condition and was not looking at finding fault with them. I was just trying to learn more about neps and transport shock in general. My sincere apologies to both of you should my concern of the plants cause any misunderstanding.

*I have edited my previous post to remove any possible comparison with other nurseries.
Dear Cindy,
no problem - don't worry.
If the plant does not recover nicely, please let me know and I'll take care of that.
All the best and good growing
Andreas

Thanks, Andreas. I must say that the plants of a good-size to begin with so I am sure they have a good chance of doing well.

Back