What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Campanulata about to flower!

schloaty

Staff member
Well, I was repotting one of my neps tonight, and I ticked myself off - I broke off the newest pitcher bud just starting to inflate. This plant has a pitcher on every single leaf, and I broke the streak!
mad.gif

But, I guess there is balance in the universe, as I noticed about 20 minutes later that my campanulata is about to send up a new flower spike! It's female, so in about a month (that's a guess), I'll be looking for some pollen.

oh it's female! NICE!

i'd start asking for pollen now. i wonder what the most fantastic cross can be?

Hey!
Could you post some pics online here?
I have a male campanulata in flower.
The stem is now about 5 cm high.
The plant diameter is only 5 cm....so it is very little.
I will pratically have no pollen because the stem is really little.
So there is no sense to collect pollen I think.
Here is a actual photo :

campanulata_male_flower.jpg

I know another person who has a campanulata in flower. try to write to this address :
dannata_@hotmail.com
Have a nice day!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Mr. Aga,

That's a good idea - though I think you should write them first and let them know I will write them.  Don't know how well they would react to some unknown person writing them out of the blue...

Oh, and yours is TINY! Holy moly! I didn't know they could flower at that size. I think mine could eat yours.
I'll have to go take a pic - mine is somewhat of a monster.

Here we go:
Whole main plant
100_2099.jpg

basal shoots
100_2102.jpg

Leaf size
100_2100.jpg

pitcher size (pardon the glare - pic taken through the glass)
100_2101.jpg

new spike
100_2103.jpg

Are these little guys pretty easy to grow? Or do they require pretty difficult conditions? Oh, nice plant by the way!

-Ben

The pitcher color of your campanulata is incredible!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

My male northiana X veitchii X Tiveyi is just starting to send up a spike, If they flower at the same time and your interested in creating a wacky hybrid id gladly send you pollen.

northianaXveitchiixTiveyi2.jpg

northianaXveitchiixTiveyiflower.jpg

Schloaty,
I have informed the girl about you!
You can contact her...BUUUUUUTTT...ahahah....if you believe or not her male campanulata is pratically big as mine! ahahaha! yeah!
Campanulata has always been known as a plant that can flower also in very young state!
I hope to could exchange seeds with the next flower steam,ehehe!
Byeeeeeee!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi All!
I'm Melly, MrAga's friend!
I have a male campanulata in flower!!!! 10 cm!
I can send the fresh pollen when the flowers are opened in exchange for a part of future seeds!
if someone is interested contacts me (dannata_@hotmail.com) or MrAga
chhers
Melly
smile.gif

Donn - Have you used the pollen from that plant before and successfully gotten seeds? I ask because hybrids have a chance of being sterile, and the more complex the hybrid, the greater the chance.

I've tried twice to pollinate this camp, and twice failed (grrrr), so I'm not going to take any unnecessary chances. If you have successfully used the pollen, I will keep you in mind.

Mr. Aga & Melly (welcome to the forums, Melly!) - I just thought of something....I don't know what the laws are regarding importing pollen. I'll see what I can find out (I do have some import paperwork) about that. Might be fine.

I've got a male thorelii x aristolochioides that seems to be at about the same state of development as your campanulata. I can't even imagine what that cross might look like, but bizarre certainly does come to mind.
P1000329.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Aug. 30 2006,9:11)]Donn - Have you used the pollen from that plant before and successfully gotten seeds?  I ask because hybrids have a chance of being sterile, and the more complex the hybrid, the greater the chance.  

I've tried twice to pollinate this camp, and twice failed (grrrr), so I'm not going to take any unnecessary chances.  If you have successfully used the pollen, I will keep you in mind.
Hi Schloaty,

No ive never pollinated anything with my northiana X veitchii X Tiveyi before, this is the first time its ever flowered. I can understand your fertility concerns, hopefully you can get fresh campanulata pollen,
smile.gif

Hey Donn, I think my (northiana X veitchii) X Tiveyi may be getting ready to bloom. If its female and the timing is right we could try making an f2 of this. (A lot of ifs, but something to keep in mind).
P1010259.jpg
P1010699.jpg

Man...
smile_h_32.gif

frontiers do cause a lot of problems...not even pollen can be send trough post service?
Listen..I got seeds sent trough post service and I did not have problems.
Since the chances that they will open a letter is very low...can we valuate the risk simply to send the pollen as a standard plastified letter? It has pratically no volume at all!
Let me know!
Because...you can never know...maybe one day I may ask you to have a piece of your campanulata for myself,ehehe! ;)
Bye!
Mr_Aga
Milan - Italy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Aug. 30 2006,1:58)]Hey Donn, I think my (northiana X veitchii) X Tiveyi may be getting ready to bloom. If its female and the timing is right we could try making an f2 of this. (A lot of ifs, but something to keep in mind).

If your plant is female and they are in flower at the same time id love to try and make an f2 cross!!!, be sure to let me know if its a female and ill keep you up to date on my plants progress.

I believe that seeds are OK to ship internationally, and if that's the case, I can't see why pollen wouldn't be too. Best luck with your crosses, everyone - I can't wait until I get my Neps up to flowering size. This year I got to make Sarr hybrids for the first time, and I'm really excited about them, but I like Neps even more.
~Joe

Mr. Aga, Melly, looks like Pollen is ok to bring into the country.

The flower isn't ready yet, and, in addition, I can't promise success. I've failed twice at fertilizing this plant.....I don't plan on failing again, but just so you know.

That asside, I will gladly accept pollen, if you will accept the risk!
smile_m_32.gif

Schloaty,
I didn't understand what you have written.
What did you mean that you cannot promise because of fertilizing? Did you make some damage to the past campanulatas flowers due too much fertilizer? Or what else?
Did you remember my campanulata in the first page of this topic?
Then see what is is going to happen now!
My little plant is trying to flower TWINCE! :

double_flower.jpg

I am not able for the moment to discover the sex of my plant....but is seems to be a...female...I tried to take some macro photos but I cannot be sure...I will discover in the next days!
Besides that....here is the actual situation of Melly's campanulata....it appears to be a male,I am right?

melly_campanulata.jpg

Let me know!
Bye

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

If I had it my way it would be an orgy or international Cp's.....

Then agian if I had it my way...:D

Point is, too many laws.

Mr. Aga, he means that he has failed to fertilize the flowers, as in not be able to pollinate them and make seeds.

-Ben

Back