What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

advice about outside growing

i started growing nep since, well.

1 grade ele. at s.korea (im south korean)

and i came to usa at 2005 feb and didnt

really know what was nep. then i saw a

site named nepenthesaroundthehouse

and started growing..

i would love some nice advice (any kind)

for outside growing..

thanks!
smilie4.gif

Hi
Ahn-yung. Im korean too. I was born in the US but Im still korean. Well nice to see I'm not the only korean growing neps here. Well, the only advice I have to say is slowly adjust them to full sun if you want the best results. And keep them under some clear plastic wrap to keep humidity and then slowy cut the bag open until the plant is accustomed to the outside humidity. Keep doing this until all your plants are accustomed to the temps, humidity, and the sunlight of wherever you live. Also, highlanders need a drop of temp at night so just letting you know that. Well thats about it, oh and also, if the winters get pretty cold (i.e. lower than 60's or so) then bring them in for winter and then grow them back outside when the temps rise again. Okay thats it for me. Jahl-jah-lu!
smile.gif

i grow N. ventricosa in a hanging basket, outside, with a tree shading it from full sun. its pitchering. our humidity is around 70% and temps in the summer get up to 90's!
Alex

I tried growing Neps (ventrata & Judith Finn) outside. I started them off under the porch, so they got "brght shade". A week later I moved them 2', to the under the eaves. Major mistake. It was still too much sun too fast. I ended up killing 2 of them and setting the rest back for a few weeks. I moved them to hanging in bushes, where they slowly recovered.

Welcome to the forums!

I grow my 3 N. ventricosa outside during the summer. Since my N. ventricosa have been very hardy, I don't mess with getting them adapted to the light, I just hang them in an apple tree were they have bright indirect light most of the day. The temps here the center of Colorado don't usually get much above 90°F/32.2°C so that helps also. I have to bring them in for late fall and winter.

You've got to be kidding me?! Ventricosas out in the middle of Colorado?!?! How does it cope with the low humidity? This is big news for me!

Neps dont have to have a lot of humidity. This is a common misconception. They just need to be watered very well and the humidity around the plant will automatically raise by itself.

But Colorado is very dry. And wouldn't wind blow away the humidity generated by the watered soil of the plant?

It may dry the plant out faster, but that just means water more. Anything can aclimate to different conditions. I have a spider plant that has aclimated to much higher light than it should be grown in. Just takes time and a hardy plant. Heck look at VFT that get aclimated to the dry desert conditions when its native to costal Carolina.

The humidity is low (20% or less sometimes), but as long as there is enough moisture in the potting media to replace what is lost through the leaves, the plant does fine. This year I had more rain this summer which caused cooler weather and they didn't pitcher as well as they did last year. Being hung in the branches of the tree 5 feet over a watered lawn helps keep it a little more humid also. The tree is in a sheltered part of my yard where the wind is blocked a bit.

Back