What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. hamata

I have a very young N. hamata that isn't doing the best right now. It came from a company (that shall remain un-named) that likes to plant its CPs in a shredded bark of some kind. It seems airy enough, but the fact is that it's quite difficult to guess when it has lost its moisture. This makes watering somewhat of a hassle and I'm sure the plant is suffering because I'll often let it go on the dry side to avoid rot.

My big question: What's the best soil mix for N. hamata? I was thinking about purchasing some live LFS and planting it in that, since that's really easy to keep track of when it comes to watering.

For my N. hamata, all my neps actually, I use equal parts perlite, peat moss, and LFS.

I think I know the company you are taking about. I have a small nep that I have not repotted yet, and it is in a bark mixture since June with no problems.
As for watering, everyones situation can be different, but for my indoor plants, where my neps are, I have the same watering schedule. That is to water them twice a week.

If I may ask, how do you water your Neps in your terrarium? Do you let the water drain away?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Sep. 09 2006,11:04)]If I may ask, how do you water your Neps in your terrarium? Do you let the water drain away?
Yes.
I do not use trays on any of my plants. That is the main reason why my plants get watered twice a week for plants inside. My plants outside get watered every other day. It's more work watering, but I do not mind as I like to look at my plants.

Ah, I see. So the water just drains into the bottom of the tank? That's a big reason why I use trays, because I don't like my tank to look messy.

I have stone on the bottom of the tank.

terrarium1.jpg

Oh ok. Thanks for the picture to help illustrate.

I just get so frustrated sometimes because I feel like I'll never get Nep watering right. I have hope with my new setup, but I still have my doubts.

I have my little hamata is strait LFS. LFS has never failed me with CP's.

On a side note my tiny Hamata is a trooper. It's been in lowland conditions since I got it and aside from loosing the pitcher it came with, it has a new pitcher open and is blowing up another! So happy it's not dead!

A lot pf geckos conversing in this post....

biggrin.gif

I think I know the company we are talking about and that supposedly works best for his conditions.
 I would think you would almost water daily in that mixture, as it would drain freely.
 If you water less, some of the other mixes suggested would work.
 I have not had this one in a while, but I remember it enjoying a good portion of live sphagnum with a touch of peat and some course ingredients.

Cheers,

Joe

Thin N. hamata is planted in LFS.  It's in a plastic basket to promote drainage - watered daily.

42b0c27f.jpg

I don't use the tray system for neps. Never have, never will. I water all of mine every day, no matter what. How much water they get depends on how hot it is, etc, but they still get a least a few sprays daily. This hasn't failed me so far at all. I don't understand why some people only water once or twice or whatever a week...there's a reason why that region of the world is called tropical wet. If you take the yearly rainfall, then divide by 365, you get the average daily rainfall, which around the Kuala Lumpur area, is 6.65mm per day. In Sumatra, its about 7.33mm. I realize some people are nervous about root rot...but root rot is like a computer virus...it only happens to you if you're doing something you're not supposed to. Like sitting many species in water all the time. (yes i realize there are a few exceptions...raff, bical, etc)

phissionkorps,

Couldn't agree more...I find Nepenthes do best for me with in porous media that can be watered every day or two. (I'm growing intermediate/highland plants.)

Yes I totaly agree.  There is no one master mix. You have to taylor the mix to your habits or change your habits ti meet the needs of the plant.  You also have to take into consideration your condition.  If your heavy handed at watering then a more open mix is called for.  If your sparce with watering then a more moisture retentive mix is called for.  With conditions if its overcast and cloudy things stay wetter longer, but in tereria the conditions are pretty static so thats a little less variation to deal with.

Now I know these plants are expencive and you don't particularly want to experiment with them.  Its just that what is good for one grower doesn;t necisarrily good for another and so there is always a little experimentation needed.  Hopefuly the plant addapts to slight veriation from the norm.

Its basicly the same with orchids, what works for me may not nessisarily work for my next door neighbor. All advice should be taken as guidlines.
smile_n_32.gif

Back