What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Nep flower cycles.

I have a male Judith finn that is flowering. No big deal there right? Well I have a few questions.

1) Do mature neps produce only uppers or can they be mature and still make lowers?

2) Do neps produce one flower stalk and then go back to pitchers or do they produce flower stalks on 4 or 5 nodes then go back to pitchers?

3) Can an immature nep still flower?

This Judith Finn I have is really challenging everything I thought I knew about Nep flowering. Any help would be great.

I got a VERY large male ventricosa cutting from the Texas Tech greenhouse a while back. When i got it, it had a flower stalk that was on its way about. About 3 weeks later, it produced another flower stalk, then went to leaves afterwards. My plant has never produced uppers (from what I had seen on the original in the greenhouse). I think that once a plant starts producing uppers, it stays in uppers. If you take a cutting of a plant in upper stage, the pitchers it throws out afterwards will be uppers.

once it makes uppers the only way to get lowers is to get a basal to come off it.
Alex

2) My N. x Judith Finn kept putting up flower spikes (four in a row) and stopped pitchering for awhile.

3) I did have a tip cutting from a mature nep and it sent up a flower spike.

Back