What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have an idea

My idea is to set-up a grow tank for my hamata using a 10 gallon tank. The thing is this. What if I fill up the tank with water about halfway but make stands to keep the pot out of the water. In the water will be a betta and maybe some water cps. On the stand will be my hamata and maybe my cephalotus. Has anyone done something like this before? With the water in the tank that would make it humid enough. The only thing would be is how many watts and what kind of bulbs to use? I want any and all input on this. Good and bad. I could also put some of my sundews in for the winter because there will not be a lot of hours of light in the winter.

I did it with a truncata over winter once because I didn't have any other way of producing humidity. Obviously that was the only year it would fit in the tank. An aquarium heater in the water ups the humidity a great deal (and is better for most fish in the winter anyway).

How many watts are needed for a hamata and cephalotus? If I can get the hamata to grow a lot over this winter maybe it could be tough enough to grow outside on the windowsil next year.

whoa fish+bladderwarts DID NOT WORK FOR ME
I tried it a year ago to see if fish would be compatible, i thought the bladderwarts would do fine if I fed them stuff and they did--for the first coulple of weeks. After the first two weeks I noticed the plants slowly dissapearing
smile_k_ani_32.gif
then i saw the fish nibbling on the bladderwarts, I thought that they wouldnt eat all of the plants, but I was wrong, a week later, all of the bladderwarts were eaten by the fish
smile_h_32.gif

I think that you should try aquatic plants and not aquatic cps
my friend gave me this indestructable rhizome aquatic plant its so amazing, it never dies no matter how much you try and kill it, however I do not remember the name of it. He got it from an aquatic plant specailist. All I can tell you is that I have never found it in any pet store but it grows using rhizomes and the leaves are bright green and heart shaped. The height mine is at now is about 2.5 inches and it is so cool! it never dies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theres my two cents

Is it an Anubias? I'd love to trade for a section!

The humidity would more than likely stress Cephalouts in those conditions, unless it's still a small juvenile plant. The same would apply to Drosera.
They only need a water level at the bottom of the tank similar to what they would have in a tray. With a lid that covers most of the open top, the humidity should be plenty to sustain the plants.

Back