What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kind of ridiculous

Presto

wicked good plants!
Staff member
on another forum (one for general gardening, with a little teeny section for CPs), somebody posted this link to a picture of a partially-digested mouse inside a Nepenthes truncata pitcher. (yum!)

another person (an administrator for the board, actually) replied that neps catch mice/voles/baby birds regularly, and some people actually feed them pinkie mice.

just have to make sure, though, before I reply: "aaah! no! don't!!". the fat content would be way too high, wouldn't it? I've never heard of anyone feeding their neps pinkies, have you?

eh stuff happens. pinkies are mostly protine and calcium. not much fat.
Alex

Ummm, regardless Neps don't regularly catch any of that stuff.

None of those things are particularly well suited for Nep food anyway.

Generally speaking, these are not the usual food stuffs of neps. That said, however, it generally wont hurt a thick walled pitcher like truncata providing the meal fits entirely below the water line (completely submerged).

If any part of the animal is above the water line, you run into two problems 1) fungus/rot/dieing pitcher 2) STINKY!

That's totally cruel. I can't believe someone would do that.

That said, it is cool.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]pinkies are mostly protine and calcium. not much fat.

Incorrect; pinkies are pretty much little sticks of butter, which is the reason they're not advised as food for insect-eating herps. Too many pinkies means too much fat means fatty liver disease and early death. As far as rodents go, pinkies are pretty much like eating a big greasy fast food burger.

Mokele

but...snakes and such? my little sugar glider eats them and they are very good for her.
Alex

You feed your glider pinkies? Wow. I wouldn't think they would eat baby mice.

That totally surprised me!

If the plants were designed to catch mice they would have evolved properly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Oct. 02 2006,10:34)]If the plants were designed to catch mice they would have evolved properly.
true!
smile.gif

thank you all for your help! hopefully I've convinced them that a cat would be a more effective method of rodent control...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If the plants were designed to catch mice they would have evolved properly.
Maybe they weren't designed, and they're still evolving
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but...snakes and such? my little sugar glider eats them and they are very good for her.

It's an issue of basal metabolism. Reptiles have very slow metabolisms, and young ones convert much of what they eat into new growth, which means growing fat stores if they eat things like pinkies.

In contrast, your sugar gliders are extraordinarily high-metabolism animals; they'll burn through the energy in a pinkie, fat and all, in a few hours. It's like the friend I'm sure everyone has who's thin as a rail and can eat a whole bucket of fried chicken and not gain a pound. If you have such a high metabolism that all the fat you eat gets burned up (like sugar gliders and other small mammals), no problem. If you don't (like reptiles), the fat gets stored. Humans just get obese, but reptiles have such low metabolisms that they store so much fat it can damage their livers, killing them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If the plants were designed to catch mice they would have evolved properly.

Just because something evolved for one purpose doesn't mean it can't be employed for another purpose. The wings of insects evolved from gill-flaps. Teeth evolved from ancient fish scales. Lungs evolved from the swim bladder. This sort of functional shift is called 'exaptation' (to distinguish it from normal adaptation).

On a smaller evolutionary timescale, the wings of a heron evolved for flight, but a simple shift in behavior has resulted in them being used for a shade while fishing, too. Reptile scales evolved as a means to prevent dessication, but also serve to protect from damage. The tail of lizards is mostly there for balance, but can also be used as a whip.

So, even if CP evolution focused on trapping insects, that doesn't mean they couldn't also trap other things as well. The pitfall trap is, after all, an astounding efficient and effective mechanism to capturing small animals, vertebrate and invertabrate alike.

Mokele

Hi all:

Furthermore, Even if an accidental Nepenthes prey have organic matter not usually found in insects, the pitchers are able to handle almost anything that falls inside them. If worse comes to worst, then the pitcher rots but the some of the nutrients are still taken up by the plant and they will help produce the next pitcher.

Gus

Back