What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes jamban - introducing a new species

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phissionkorps @ Oct. 06 2006,8:12)]Btw, when is your shop coming back? I need new neps!
Oh Gosh.. so much to do yet. Thinking maybe sometime in November before it gets really cold.

Just added a couple more pics to the thread in the Ghouse area. Greenhouse frame is mostly up but have alot of cross braces to install and then work on concrete so I can get the steel building erected.

Sweet new plant !!! Just hope that the price stays reasoneble...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just hope that the price stays reasoneble...

Not a chance!
smile_n_32.gif

I just gave up waiting for prices on things like hamata to drop. To use that as an example, hamata prices are about twice as much in the U.S. as they were when I first started growing Neps a little over four years ago... and that plant has been in successful tissue culture longer than I've been growing! Go figure...

That having been said, some vendors do actually drop prices on new introductions after they've been on the market for awhile.

Prices will certainly drop, especially when TC clones come through and replace the few seed-grown plants in cultivation. It takes about 4 years though from first collection of seed to release of first TC clones if they are to be properly nursery hardened. In the case of N. jamban there is about 18 months to go before that starts to happen.

N. hamata is an anomoly. Although we're not the only grower to produce this species, our availability was hit by our loss of our TC stock (had to be destroyed when license with supplier was not renewed). We then had to obtain new TC clones and start again. Then there was a problem with lab contamination which we're still battling, hence the scarcity of supply - at least from us anyway
smile_h_32.gif

I understand all that, and it's definitely not the nurseries of origin that are jacking up prices. If I had the import permits, I'd probably be ordering directly from you, MT, or Wistuba all the time.

It just costs US nurseries too much to import and operate to be able to offer reasonable prices-- at least that's how I imagine it.

I think it is strange, though, that while there are still hamata available from nurseries besides you guys, the price remains high. You just dominate too much of the market! Stop being such a success!
smile_n_32.gif

Hamatas More picky than This one it sounds like, even then it will be a few years befor the plants are down to the 20-30 dollar price range (unles im mistaken). IT could also be that the other nursry's want to make a profit and find that keeping Certain species prices high is a way to make profit.

I think you should still wait dly brand, its definetaly worth the wait!

Oh, I just folded and ordered from overseas. The hamata was pretty cheap, I just had to spend a lot of money at once to fulfill minimum order. No more Nepenthes this year, I don't think!

Man oh man. I need to learn to do TC so I can help the prices come down!! Anyone willing to teach me to do TC?? Thats going to be a mission after I get a lab built for orchid seeds. Since I want to TC some orchids too.

DLY you know that plants in TC if shipped in vetro (still in the strile flask) don;t need all the import permits as plants that are out of flask and growing already.  Since they are in strile culture they don't need phytosanitary certs all all that jazz.  Atleast its like that with orchids.  There are just certain ones that are on CITES lists that cannot be shipped regardless.  Those need special permits and sometimes those cannot even be shipped.  I don't know all the ins and outs yet, but its easier to get a flask shipped than a plant from overseas from what I have been told.  They are just smaller and more delicate plants.  Then the risk of the flask getting jumbled in transit too.

I don't know any place that sells in vitro except MT, and they only have three species (all common lowlanders, too). The overseas supplier I bought from exports to a distributor here who has all the import permits already, so I didn't have to pay this time.

JB_OrchidGuy, check out the "kitchen tissue culture kit" for some pointers on TC. If you have some experience working in a lab setting, it should be a piece of cake

well now we can tell that it stays pretty expensive at around $100

this thread... is 5 years old.

than why bring it up?

than why bring it up?
Heck - why not? If he was searching & found an interesting tidbit or pic .... is there some rule that someone can't resurrect an old thread unless he/she has a good reason? ???

No nothings wrong with that. Just wondering.

Actually it's a pretty neat contrast to see that the plant still costs so much even after 5 years.

Personally, I think it should be cheaper. jacquelineae is much prettier IMO. I never caught the jamban fever.

I catch the jamban fever every time I drink a strong cup of coffee.

jamban is cheaper now but still expensive. You can now get a nice plant for 60$

Back