What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes jamban - introducing a new species

smile.gif
Here are some photos of Nepenthes jamban, a newly described highland species from Indonesia. Discovered by Ch'ien Lee, this amazing species is in cultivation now. So far it seems to be a vigorous and easy grower and also a prolific producer of pitchers, which is good news for everyone!

Appropriately, 'jamban' is the Indonesian word for 'toilet'
smile_k_ani_32.gif

More and better photos are available on Ch'ien's website www.wildborneo.com.my

PLEASE NOTE - these photos are copyrighted. Please contact either Ch'ien or myself if you wish to reproduce them.

clp095022.jpg

Intermediate pitchers in habitat

cld04120220.jpg

Upper pitcher in habitat

clp095004.jpg

Lower pitcher in habitat

cld04120202.jpg

Intermediate pitcher in habitat

clp095035.jpg

Upper pitcher in habitat

clp095037.jpg

Upper pitchers in habitat

Rob Cantley
Sri Lanka
Borneo Exotics

Cool!! Loks kind of like a cross between inermis and jaqu.

What an awesome surprise to wake up to!

Man, why are all the best species highland? Woe is me...

very interesting...

WOW! that is an awesome shape! i believe this surpasses N. jaq(sorry jeramiah!) to me!! which nursery is it going to be availiable from first Rob? what elevation does it grow at?
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 05 2006,9:12)]which nursery is it going to be availiable from first Rob?
Glider, where do you think Rob works/[co-]owns?
laugh.gif

The shape reminds me of the old fashion round sinks. What does it's main prey seem to be?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Oct. 05 2006,4:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 05 2006,9:12)]which nursery is it going to be availiable from first Rob?
Glider, where do you think Rob works/[co-]owns?
laugh.gif
wow...duh i knew that haha....... do you know when they will come out and how much they will be about?
Alex

Wow! Now that is impressive! Easy to see where the name comes from though.
biggrin.gif
That ought to be a hot seller once its available.

If its "easy" in cultivation, what would the requirements be?

Thanks for showing those pics...beautiful plant!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Plant A Kiss says
Wow! Now that is impressive! Easy to see where the name comes from though.

Yep and somebody left the seat up.lol
Lois

yep and somebody left the seat up.lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If its "easy" in cultivation, what would the requirements be?

The conditions we're growing it under are 25 deg. C day down to 13 deg C night (sorry, don't know the deg. f equivalent), RH over 70% and lots of light. Here's a photo I took this morning of the largest seedlings we have growing under those conditions:

N_jamban_largest.jpg

Sweet! I love the pitcher shape. Its name is cool too.

I'm willing to bet that once this hits the market it'll cost a pretty penny.

Now that is one awesome plant! The pitchers are cool, the leaves are cool... That's one plant I'd like to grow before I die!
biggrin.gif

Peter

AWWWWW!!! They're so adorable!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The conditions we're growing it under are 25 deg. C day down to 13 deg C night (sorry, don't know the deg. f equivalent)

Ok, that's 77 F days and 55.4 F nights.

Sweet pitchers! Looks like it might be related to jacqu or platy.

Isn't that N. spec. nov. Sumatra that Wistuba has been selling for a while? If not, it looks extremely similar

all i can say is i hope the scramble for this thing makes ppl forget about jacqu's and drops the price on them
smile_n_32.gif
much prefer Jeremiah's red jac to this one, though it is pretty cool

I would say they appear quite similar but there also appears to be noticeable differences. Primarily in the upper pitcher lid width. As well as peristome width and flatness.

Tony

Ooooh, i see now. Also, Wistuba's plant has a toothed peristome, while the jamban's peristome's lip is rolled under (if that makes sense).

Btw, when is your shop coming back? I need new neps!

Back