What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Lighting

Was just curious how you overwinter your Neps. Do you keep giving them 14-16hrs of artificial lighting, or do you lower it to 10-12 hrs of artificial lighting for the winter months?

What... do you all live in Borneo?
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]do you all live in Borneo?
Well, I for one don't: I keep my lights on fourteen hours a day, year round.
Cheers,
T.

I grow mostly highland neps which grow better for me in the winter months. I keep my lights on for 16 hours per day.

Many of my neps grow in front of a south facing window here in PA. I do not supplement the light at all, so the plants get less hours during the winter.
I have not noticed any growing difference during this time. This winter will be 3 years growing neps this way in front of south facing windows.

South facing windows eh? Why South? The only available window sill I have in my house is a bay window, and my mother isn't too fond of Neps...
smile_n_32.gif

So we got 14hrs...and 16hrs... Is there any benefit to keeping the light period the same all year long? Is there any health benefit to lowering the light period to induce seasonal changes?

To be concluded...

i have mine on a SSW window and they are pitchering and growing. for the time that is where i will keep all my neps i get.
Alex

Back