What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photographs!

N. x miranda growing outside
miranda_full.jpg

N. maxima var. superba x boschiana in the tank
maxxbosch_full.jpg

N. eymae
eymae_full.jpg

N. x Predator
pred_full.jpg

A closeup of the peristome
pred_close.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them!

Hmm.. yes, I do like a collection of prize plants. Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Cheers
Amori

Mislabelled one of my own plants... how embarassing.

Second photo is maxima x boschiana, not maxima.

alright...3rd pic what the gimpy plant behind the pitcher? it dont look to happy... nice plants though! could you PM me the conditions of your tank and how you maintain them. how big is the tank and did you build it from scratch.
Alex

In the third pic? That's a carunculata cutting that I've been trying to root. It isn't forming them and is getting dehydrated. The top leaf still looks okay, though, so I'm not going to throw it out just yet.

The tank is 48"Wx36"Hx30"D and is scratch built. I don't have thermometers or hygrometers, so I couldn't tell you about conditions.

Great looking plants. Couple questions:

1. I notice you have most of your plants sitting in trays, which is how I grow my Neps. How do you go about watering them? I typically water my Neps until the tray fills, a week or so goes by and the water evaporates, and then I let the plant sit for another week or so with no water in the tray to allow air to enter the soil. I guess you could say I grow my Neps a bit 'dry'! Anyways, just curious about your watering technique and would appreciate it if you could shed some light on yours.

2. Would you mind posting a picture of the entire tank? I'd love to see the whole thing!

Nice looking plants!

I water my plants every so often and then let the pots air out a bit, too. However, I also empty water out of the trays so as to avoid root rot.

118-1878_IMG.jpg

118-1879_IMG.jpg

Some more questions: (if you don't mind, that is!)

1) How many watts of lighting do you have on that tank? From the pictures it looks like you use 4 of those 4-foot shoplight fixtures.

2) What's that small bit of lighting down at the bottom of your tank? Another terrarium?

Thanks!

I have a few questions my self, did you seal the wood, I think I want to try building something like that! I would like more information, did you make that or did you buy it ? ON the top is their glass/plexi glass covering it or is itjust open with the lights on their? How much heat do those lights generate, what is the average temperature in the set up.
cool.gif
Happy neps!

lleopardggecko:
I use 6 4 ft. fluorescent fixtures. That's 480 watts total, I think. So much light is necessary since the lights are 3 ft. above some of the shorter plants. There is a small terrarium for seedlings and small true highlanders that can't tolerate major condition flucuations. Right now it's just Drosera seedlings.

nepenthes_ak
I did seal the wood with many, many coats of polyurethane. Even so, I may have to refinish again sometime. It is a homemade tank. There is a plexiglass covering between the tank and the lights. I have removed the ballasts from several fixtures to try and minimize heat transfer, but the tank is so large that heat isn't much of a problem.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Awsome Ill have to rember that.

thanks for the info!

Back